Tuesday, January 7, 2014

My 500 Words: Day 7 - The Truth About Beauty


Somehow I have managed to get to my age {41} still feeling fairly self-conscious about my appearance.  Yes, I know that what's on the outside is superficial.  It's what's on the inside that matters.  Right?  Right.  I get that.  There are references in the Bible speaking to just that:
"Don't be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes.  You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God."  {1 Peter 3:3-4, NLT}
I know this to be truth.  Yet I remain fairly self-conscious about myself and my appearance.  I've never been one to "keep up with the Joneses" on any level.  That includes fashion and the latest in trends.  I'm not much of a shopper.  Truth be told, if I'm going out to buy clothes for myself {which seldom ever happens, by the way}, I have no idea where to begin.  I know when I see other people what looks nice or cute or trendy, but I have no idea where I'm supposed to find those things for myself.  Instead, I gravitate to simple shirts and plain slacks or jeans.  I have few clothes and they are all pretty basic.  If I were to have to dress up for anything, I'd be in trouble!

And then there's hair and makeup.  I could go on a rant for a while about how not trendy all of that is with me.  Ok, so getting out to get a good haircut is on my to do list.  It will happen.  I've been a little occupied with other things to worry about that.  But makeup is a whole other issue, and why I let that bother me still is beyond me.  I am my own worst critic.  I will be the first person to tell you how not good I look when it comes to all of these things.  I have a hard time with compliments.  I always have.  I think somewhere deep down I am clinging on to a mistaken belief that I'm not pretty enough or good enough or trendy enough or {insert any other word} enough.

Here are some questions Do I want to be like so and so who has an awesome wardrobe to go with their perfect hair and makeup?  Do I need to be like so and so in order to be accepted?  What is it about me that has caused me to elevate this person or those people to a level that I expect myself to achieve in order to be accepted?  If I looked like them, would I still be me?

You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within...

1 Peter 3:4 speaks volumes of truth.  I should not be so fixated on how my appearance isn't good enough.  I should be more fixated on the truth that exists in the Word and what it says about true beauty.  If there is an aspect of my life that needs to be more "beautiful", then let it be in my heart, in my spirit, and in my words and deeds.  If I focus on God and what He says about me and about the plans that He has for me, then I don't have to worry about whether I'm pretty enough or good enough or trendy enough or anything enough because...

I am enough.
"Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised."  {Proverbs 31:30, NLT}

{if you're counting - that was 596 words for my seventh My 500 Words post, for a total of 5,695 this month!}
 photo signature_zps058cf4af.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.