Thursday, October 31, 2013

Thankful Thursday - Year 2 Week 51! {#Linkup}


Welcome to Thankful Thursday!  If you're new here, welcome!  If you're a return visitor, welcome back!  I am glad you are here.  Today is the day of the week where I like to take a moment to just be thankful for some things in my life that are happening right now.  You are welcome to link up your "thankful" posts below or simply share in the comments something you are thankful for.

This week I am thankful for:


*  Being able to have this post ready at all today!  Our internet went out last before I had a chance to put this post together.  I was not too thrilled about the idea of not having a post up for Thankful Thursday of all days!

*  After having a decent Hematology follow up last week, I had a pretty good Pulmonary follow up this week.  I had to go through a pulmonary function test, which was rather comical.  It's been a month since my pulmonary embolism and my lung function is back to about 76% of normal.  The doctor says there's really no way to know exactly what it was before the PE and when I went to the ER, but he estimates that when I went to the hospital it was between 40-50% of normal function based on the number and size of the blood clots in my lungs.  He was pleased with where I am currently at.  So am I.  I'll take 76%!!

*  A wonderful Orthopedic Surgeon.  My ankle injury happened on September 8th.  When I let this doctor know I had the PE, he spent quite a while on the phone with me going over everything.  While my injury wasn't minor, it wasn't really thought to be major either.  No fracture.  A grade 3 sprain - 3 being the highest number.  He's never seen someone with my type of injury wind up with a PE.  I found him to be quite thorough and concerned for my overall health.  At that time, he put in an order for an MRI for my ankle as he didn't think it was healing as well as he thought it should be based on my description.  I already had a follow up scheduled for yesterday.  The MRI was done 2 weeks ago.  You know the saying "no news is good news"??  Not necessarily so.  I thought it must be ok since I hadn't heard any news after having my MRI, although I did consider that he might just let me know when I went for my follow up.  That's what happened.  As it turns out, I have an acute peroneal tendon tear.  {You can google images of that at your own risk!}  Not just torn ligaments as it was thought.  Surgery is required to repair this injury.  He is also going to tighten the ligaments while he's in there.  I am tentatively scheduled for surgery for November 21st.  Two days after my birthday.  One week before Thanksgiving.  One month before Christmas.  I'll be out of commission for the first 6 weeks plus an additional 4 of limited mobility and then several months of rehab.  

So, why is this in my Thankful Thursday post??

Because I am grateful that if there had to be an injury, that it was clearly evident on the MRI and that there was no question as to what was wrong and what needs to be done.  It is going to be a long road ahead.  This isn't going to fix itself.  It is what it is.  I am grateful to have this surgeon.  He has done surgery recently for a friend's ankle injury and she is very pleased with him as well.  If it's got to be, then I'm glad I'm in great hands.  For that I am thankful.  Oh, and I'm also grateful for a new prescription for pain meds.  It's been a while since I've had anything besides Tylenol and my pain has been getting worse.  At least I now know why!

*  For another wonderful report card for Moira.  She's a good kid!!

What are you thankful for today?


~~~~~



thankful thursday

 photo signature_zps058cf4af.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.