Thursday, October 3, 2013

Thankful Thursday - Year 2 Week 47! {Link Up}

Welcome to Thankful Thursday!  If you're new here, welcome!  If you're a return visitor, welcome back!  I am glad you are here.  Today is the day of the week where I like to take a moment to just be thankful for some things in my life that are happening right now.  You are welcome to link up your "thankful" posts below or simply share in the comments something you are thankful for.

This week I am thankful for:

*  My life.  

If you don't follow me on my personal facebook or twitter accounts or don't know me personally, then you don't know that I spent a few days in an ICU step down unit {Monday to Wednesday} this week.  I had a really bad stress headache on Saturday.  My muscles from my neck all the way down my back were so tight.  They felt like they were on fire, they were so sore.  On Sunday, as far as my ankle goes, I was actually feeling up to going to church for the first time in a few weeks.  I made it and, while it was very tiring, I enjoyed it immensely.  I volunteered in my church's online services Sunday night for the first time.  I was getting pretty sore and was having a hard time getting comfortable.  Whenever I get strange back pains, I get paranoid because I have a history of massive pulmonary embolism {blood clots in my lungs - in 2001 & 2006}.  I start wondering "what if" while at the same time thinking I'm being ridiculous for wondering "what if".

After the services were over, I went to sleep.  I wasn't comfortable at all.  Sore.  Aching.  I woke up around 2:30 am and felt worse.  I tried to get comfortable and couldn't.  I felt short of breath.  I thought it was my paranoia creeping in, so I tried to calm myself.  I eventually fell back asleep for a while, but around 4:00 am I woke up again.  Again I felt worse.  The shortness of breath was more pronounced and I knew I needed to get to the ER.  I just felt it with all of my being that I must have another pulmonary embolism.  I got up to go to the restroom and grabbed my phone {just in case...I felt that bad}.  I knew I'd be needing to go to the ER, so I cleaned up, brushed my teeth, got dressed, and then texted my husband in the other room that I needed to go to the ER and that it was a 911.  I asked him to call our neighbor next door to see if Moira could go over there.

I am very grateful to our neighbors for taking Moira at 4:30 am on Monday.  Moira didn't see me.  Ron just took her, saying I didn't feel well and had to go to the doctor.

The ambulance attendants who arrived were the same ones who brought me to the ER with my ankle injury a few weeks ago.  Not sure if it's a good thing I'm getting to know my local EMS personnel so well!  They brought me to the same ER, where I encountered some of the same nurses as on previous recent visits.  It's one thing for your child to be on a first name basis with the local children's hospital ER, but it's kind of embarrassing as an adult to be in that situation!!

The first thing they did was a blood workup.  For one particular test, if the number was within range, the chance of a pulmonary embolism was slim to none.  If it was elevated, then it is almost certain there is a PE.  Mine was elevated, so off to the CT scan I went.  They confirmed bilateral pulmonary embolism.  Blood clots in both lungs.

I am grateful to have been placed in the care of three very good doctors who all share a great concern for this, my third episode with a pulmonary embolism.  They did not for one moment take it lightly.  They also seemed genuinely concerned for my long-term well-being and have come up with a treatment plan for me.  I am also grateful that as of yesterday morning, I was deemed stable enough to go home!  I am not "better".  No.  I have a long way to go.  But I am stable enough to be at home and not in the hospital.  

I am grateful for loving and supportive friends and family who have been praying through all of this.  Believe me, your prayers were felt and they were heard!  I am so thankful for the flowers I received in the hospital as well as the coffee and sweet treats from visitors.  I wasn't in my room for very long before I had three visitors and a flower delivery!  Thank you for loving on me, everyone!!

As always, I am so grateful to Ron for all he has had to endure with me.  There are no words.  Just extreme love and gratitude for this amazing man.

Mostly, I am beyond grateful to God for His compassion, love, mercy, and healing.  I cried tears of joy when the doctor left the room after telling me I could go home.  Who am I that I should deserve this?  To have walked away from one life threatening illness is one thing.  Twice is amazing.  But this is the fifth time I am walking on the healing side of such a condition.  I cannot help but be overwhelmed by God's love and compassion for someone like me.  

What, I wonder, is it that I am being called to do that He should desire for me to be left here so badly??  Clearly God isn't finished with me yet!  For that, there just are no words.

What are you thankful for today?

Feel free to grab a button {use CTRL+C to copy!} for your post and/or your blog and be sure to link up below!! 

Featured At The Fontenot Four

i may be linking up with:

 photo signature_zps058cf4af.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.