Tuesday, October 1, 2013

National Pregnancy & Infant Loss Awareness Month {2013}

 photo babies2013500x500_zps1dcca3b6.jpg


On October 25, 1988, President Ronald Reagan proclaimed that October would be Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month.  In this proclamation, Reagan stated:

"Each year, approximately a million pregnancies in the United States end in miscarriage, stillbirth, or the death of the newborn child. National observance of Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month, 1988, offers us the opportunity to increase our understanding of the great tragedy involved in the deaths of unborn and newborn babies. It also enables us to consider how, as individuals and communities, we can meet the needs of bereaved parents and family members and work to prevent causes of these problems."

Last year, I devoted the month of October to writing posts on the subject of pregnancy and infant loss along with a fellow blogger.  I am pleased to be honoring our babies once again this month.

Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day is recognized on October 15th.  On this day, we will remember our babies who have died.  These losses can be in the form of miscarriage, stillbirth, or death of your infant sometime after birth.  We recognize those babies lost in any way.  Our family has endured the loss of our first child - a son - through stillbirth at 22 weeks back in 2001.  We also had an early miscarriage in 2003.

The loss of a baby at any point from conception through infancy can result in unimaginable sorrow for the grieving parents.  While I do not know what you may have gone through, I know what we went through.  I can empathize with you but our losses are unique.  I want to be here for you to let you know that you are not alone.  The one thing we found after our losses was that there were far more people going through losses such as miscarriage than I ever could have imagined.  While it does feel isolating, please know you are not alone.

Throughout October, I would like to post on various topics surrounding pregnancy and infant loss.  If there is any topic you'd like to see covered, please share in the comments or click on the link on my sidebar to email me.  I'd love to know what you'd like to hear about!  On October 15th, which is the National Pregnancy & Infant Loss Remembrance Day, I would love for you to come back and link up your stories about what you have experienced.  I realize that this is deeply personal and perhaps you aren't ready to go there yet.  If you are, however, just know that your story may be such an encouragement to someone who is grieving their own loss right now.

Please feel free to grab the button below to put on your blog to help spread the word about the link up on the 15th.

I am deeply sorry for the loss{es} you may have experienced.  It is my hope that you will find an encouraging word or two here this month.

Remembering Our Babies 2013


 photo signature_zps058cf4af.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.