Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Have Faith: Into the Word Wednesdays: v 27 {link up}

Have faith.

You're going through a rough season.  You receive difficult news.  You experience some form of loss.  You hear those words - "have faith".  The words may sit with difficulty in your mind.  They may be of little comfort or seem empty of promise for you.  The words may fall on deaf ears.  The words are often given as encouragement when the speaker of them has little else to offer.  To others, the words resonate at the core of their being that God is present during the calm as well as the storm.

But what does it mean to have faith?

The answer to that question, I believe, is one that can be deeply personal.  The question can also stir up controversy and feelings of judgment.  That is not the intent.  I don't profess to have the definitive answer.  I just know what I believe to be the answer for me.  

At the core of having faith is having a deep trust in God.  Faith means trusting in God for all things and in all situations.  It means that God has got my back no matter what. It means that without knowing where a path will lead, I will follow His direction because I trust that He knows the best path for me.  It means that when I am faced with the toughest situation of my life {the illness and loss of my precious 6 year old daughter this past May}, that I can trust Him that He works all things together for good and that He has a plan and a purpose for this season.

Romans 8:28 says, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."  

And in Jeremiah 29:11 the Scripture states, "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

You see, God knows our direction - our path - even before we do.  He's got it all laid out ahead of time.  There is nothing we do and nothing that can happen to us that surprises Him.





Scripture is full of verses that tell us of God having a plan and a purpose for each of us.  If we trust in Him and follow Him, it will be revealed to us.  The concept of having faith means trusting in this truth that was written generations ago.  What was written then is just as relevant today as it was then.  Having faith means believing in this truth without having been a personal witness to the events which enabled us as believing Christians to be saved.  If God says it is so, then it is so.

Having faith means trusting God in the outcome, whether it turns out the way we hoped and planned or not.  I read a great piece over at Daily Hope with Rick Warren that discusses how faith means relying on God.  You can read that article HERE.  I have shared a great bit about my faith where it relates to Peyton's illness and death.  I am where I am right now because I trusted - had faith - in God that everything was part of His plan.  I'm still sad and miss her tremendously, but it is my faith which is sustaining me through this time.

There are a lot of great quotes on what it means to have faith.  Here's what my 9 year old daughter, Moira, had to say:
"It [Faith] means to believe in God and not give up on God and just have faith in other people and have perseverance even when things are tough and you just keep believing and you have faith in yourself for it.  Faith means believing in Jesus for dying on the cross and forgiving our sins and believing in people around you."
That's a whole lot of "ands", but she is only 9 and she understands what faith means for her.

Here's what some other folks have said about faith over the years:
"Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof." - Khalil Gibran
"Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe." - Voltaire
"Now, God be praised, that to believing souls gives light in darkness, comfort in despair." - William Shakespeare
 "If patience is worth anything, it must endure to the end of time.  and a living faith will last in the midst of the blackest storm." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Faith activates God - Fear activates the Enemy." - Joel Osteen 
"Faith is a living, daring confidence in God's grace, so sure and certain that a man could stake his life on it a thousand times." - Martin Luther 
You can see there is a common theme, but each has their own take on faith based on their personal experiences.

What does having faith mean to you? 


~~~~~

I would LOVE it if you linked up with a post about what God is showing you in the Word, or in your life. Please also stop by and see what God has been teaching my beautiful co-hosts this week: 


Becky at Tales of Beauty for Ashes
Falen at Upward Not Inward 
Kelly at Exceptionalistic


Into the Word Wednesday Blog Hop Rules:
1. Write a post about what God is teaching you this week.
2.  Follow the host and hostess. 
3. Grab a button to put on your blog - the more the merrier!
4. Check out (and comment) other people's blogs and be blessed by all the sisters and brothers around the world!


Into The Word Wednesdays



 photo signature_zps058cf4af.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.