Thursday, August 15, 2013

August 2013 Birchbox Review

My August Birchbox arrived the other day and it's time for a new review!  I am a little delayed writing this review as a result of a severe sunburn, but I am here now!



The theme of the August box is "Finishing School".  As stated on this insert: "...we collaborated with Ann Taylor to bring you a guide to fall's best accessory trends..."  




Included in the box was a fold out car with images of these trends, from Daytime Chic to Evening Glam to Weekend Casual.  This insert provides a lot of helpful tips, pairing Ann Taylor items with Birchbox products.




Here's what my Birchbox contained: 







KMS California | FREESHAPE Hotflex Spray - This product serves to protect your hair against the damage caused by heat styling.  I do use a flat iron almost daily, so I'm anxious to see how this product works over time.

Full price: It's a steep $18.99, but if it works as it claims, I'd considering buying this.  The price sounds high, but doesn't it seem like quality styling products are around that price point anyway?

OC8 | Professional Mattifying Gel - I actually received two sample packets of this product.  Apply it between your moisturizer and makeup to help reduce shine.  Who doesn't want that??  I'm hopeful it does the trick.

Full price: At $41.00, it had better work well...and last the full 8 hours as it claims.  Even if it's that good, it's not in my budget.  Grateful for the samples though!

stila | stay all day liquid lipstick - I love stila products.  I've received them in past Birchboxes and have purchased the full sized products after trying them.  I was excited to see another stila item this month...until I saw the shade.  Coming in non-descriptive shades of Tesoro, Beso, and Aria, I received Beso.  What that translates to is a "what corner are you working" shade of red.  Truth be told, none of the color swatches appeal to me.  Bummer.

Full price: $22.00.  Too bad the colors are not at all appealing, or I would have considered purchasing a full sized version.

Whish | Exfolating Body Wash - This is a mildly coconut scented  exfoliating body wash.  The name pretty much says it all.  Back in March, I had received a Whish Shave Cream that had a great blueberry scent.  Unfortunately, the product was not that great.  I wasn't excited to see this product name in my Birchbox.  We'll see how good it is.  I'm not excited.

Full price: At $22.00, I'm just not sold on this product.  The price is steep for a body wash, but my previous experience with this sampling this brand does not leave me inclined to consider purchasing.

Beauty Extra

Whish | Hair Inhibiting Deodorant Swipes - One look at this second Whish sample and I wasn't thrilled.  Read my previous sample comments above.  My next thoughts were "hair inhibiting deodorant swipes??  really??  come. on."  Yeah, I won't be buying this either.

Full price: Never at $16.00 will I ever buy this product.  Or any price for that matter.




Oh, remember my dissatisfaction at receiving the Birchbox Bobby Pins last month as my Beauty Extra??  Yeah, I repent...I liked them after all.  I use them nearly every day to keep my hair out of my eyes.  One pin on the one side does the trick and doesn't give the the headache that headbands do.  Sorry for the premature rush to judgment last month on that one!

This month's Birchbox was "ok".  Not a stellar box by any means, but I'll try everything and, who knows, maybe I'll like one of those Whish items after all.  Stranger things have happened!

~~~~~

If you are interested in Birchbox, it's $10 a month for the subscription.  You earn 10 points for every $10 spent.  When you've spent $100, you earn $10 to use in their shop!  You can earn points shopping in their shop as well.  Also, you can earn points by referring friends! To date, I have used about $60 worth of points for free products!

If you are interested in subscribing for yourself, click HERE to receive more information!

If you already subscribe to Birchbox, what was in your box this month??

{note: the opinions in this post are strictly my own and I have in no way been compensated for this review}

Previous reviews:
July 2013June 2013April 2013March 2013February 2013 | January 2013December 2012November 2012 | October 2012 | September 2012 | August 2012 | July 2012 | June 2012 | May 2012 | April 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.