Saturday, July 13, 2013

July 2013 Birchbox Review

The July Birchbox is in and it's time for a new review!






Backing up a little, The June Birchbox "is filled with samples from near and far that will serve you well on all your summer adventures." according to the insert in the box.  I wasn't sure how much I agreed with that statement last month, but I can now assure you I did get an "adventure" out of the box, as the use of my favorite product in the box - the Suki | Exfoliate Foaming Cleanser - resulted in a sudden trip to the ER for me.  Now, I do use other products on my face, so I cannot be 100% certain that it was this product. That said, it was the newest product of the ones I did that evening and none of the other products had ever resulted in a reaction.  In a nutshell, my face started going numb and my upper lip started to swell.  The reaction wasn't horrible and I was fine after a nice little "allergy cocktail" in the ER.  I only say this to caution anyone who may have sensitive skin.  Again, it may not have been this product, but it was the newest one.  Honestly, if that hadn't happened, I was all set to purchase the full-size version.  I loved it that much.

Now, on to the July box!  This month's box claims to be inspired by the series Suits.  Never having seen it, I cannot say how well they pull this off.  Honestly, if my box is the best they could do, then I will likely never watch that show.  I hope they aren't counting on boosting the show's ratings through this box.





Here's what my Birchbox contained:



LA Fresh | Instant Body Soother - I received two samples of this product.  Back in April, I received two samples of another brand.  I'll try this brand just to try it, but the price is unappealing since I recently found a similar product for considerably less.  It would take a lot to convince me that I need to be spending $3 more for this brand.

Full Price: $9.99 for a package of 24 wipes.  I just tried another brand which I am quite happy with for about 2/3 of the cost and 6 additional wipes.  I think I will pass on this.

ModelCo | Party Proof Lipstick - This is probably the one item which makes the whole Birchbox worth getting.  This sample is a full-size lipstick.  I received the shade "Get Naked" which is a fairly neutral shade which will be perfect for everyday wear.  The full-size item is sold in "trios" - either Classic shades or Neutrals.  "Get Naked" is from the Neutral trio.

Full price: This item is listed at $19 on the card enclosed in the box {see picture below}, but is listed online as $24 for a trio.  Either way, the price seems fair for a set of three lipsticks, provided all three shades are "me".

Number 4 | Super Comb Prep & Protect - This item is a "leave-in conditioner that safeguards color and protects against UV rays.".  For me, this falls into the category of products where you just have to take their word for it that it does what it claims.  I have sampled this brand's shampoo through Birchbox before.  I wasn't overly excited about it.  I'm not overly excited about this either.

Full price: At a hefty $32.00, I'm definitely not biting on this one.

Suits Pick:

Dr. Jart | Ceramidin Cream - I have previously sampled the Dr. Jart Beauty Balm Cream through Birchbox and loved it so much that I purchased it.  This cream "repairs skin damage and provides hydration for up to 26 hours."  I'm excited to try this.  The full-size product is a bit steep for my budget, but I might be convinced to use my Birchbox points to buy it!

Full price: A steep $48.00 for a 50ml tube.  Maybe with my points I'll get this someday!

Beauty Extra:

Birchbox Bobby Pins - Bobby pins.  I'm almost as excited about these as I am about the moist towelettes.  But, I suppose if you are in to bobby pins, you might think these are cute.  Not my thing.

Full price: $5.00 for a set of six.  If you like bobby pins, I guess that's good.  I won't be purchasing these.



This month's box was a little bit of a let down.  Perhaps I've mentally set a higher bar than what they are reaching the past several months.  Still, I enjoy trying the new products.  After all, how will you know if you like something if you don't try it??  I've always found that even if a few of the samples aren't my thing, there's usually one or more that make up for it {like the lipstick and Dr. Jart cream this month}. Can't wait to see what August brings!

~~~~~

If you are interested in Birchbox, it's $10 a month for the subscription.  You earn 10 points for every $10 spent.  When you've spent $100, you earn $10 to use in their shop!  You can earn points shopping in their shop as well.  Also, you can earn points by referring friends! To date, I have used about $60 worth of points for free products!

If you are interested in subscribing for yourself, click HERE to receive more information!

If you already subscribe to Birchbox, what was in your box this month??

{note: the opinions in this post are strictly my own and I have in no way been compensated for this review}

Previous reviews:
June 2013April 2013March 2013February 2013 | January 2013December 2012November 2012 | October 2012 | September 2012 | August 2012 | July 2012 | June 2012 | May 2012 | April 2012



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.