Tuesday, June 11, 2013

June 2013 Birchbox Review

I am back once again with another Birchbox review!  I just received my June box and am more pleased with it than I was with the May box.  I did not write a review for the May box primarily because my youngest daughter passed away just a few days before I received the box.  I didn't feel it appropriate at the time to blog about a Birchbox review when we were dealing with all of that.  I thought I might eventually write a review after some time had passed, but the box honestly wasn't worth the effort for me.  But I'm back with a June review now!

The first thing I noticed when I received my box was the new Birchbox branding on the box. You will also notice their website has a whole new look to it as well.  It's crisp, clean and pretty sharp looking.







The June Birchbox "is filled with samples from near and far that will serve you well on all your summer adventures." according to the insert in the box.  I am not sure how much I agree with that statement, but the samples are interesting.





One of the first things I noticed was that three of my samples were the same brand of product.  Davines.  I haven't ever heard of this brand.  While I'm always excited to try new products, I was a bit disappointed that  three of the six items in the box were the same brand.  I would have preferred to try products from six different brands.

Here's what my Birchbox contained:

Birchbox + Color Club | Wanderlust Collection - I don't wear nail polish very often, so the sample size is perfect for me.  The color, however, is not a favorite.  The color I received was Mod In Manhattan, which is off-white-ish.  I am pretty fair-skinned, so this color definitely is not for me.

Full Price: $8.00 for a mini polish collection of 4 colors {good price, but wouldn't buy - I don't like any of the colors in the collection}

Davines | Love Smoothing Shampoo - The sample size for this shampoo is great.  It has a "different" scent.  I can't tell yet if I like it or not.  My 9 year old daughter says it smells like a certain household cleaning product.  That's probably not good.  The shampoo is a little runnier than I normally use.  The label says it is for dry and frizzy hair.  My hair is not dry, but can get a little frizzy.  We'll see how well this works.

Full price: $24.00 {even if it works well, I'd likely not spend that much money on the product}

Oscar de la Renta | Something Blue - "Inspired by the magical moments of life, Something Blue opens with a sparkling burst of Mandarin and Linden Blossom followed by a romantic heart of Stephanotis, Lily of the Valley and a kiss of Lychee."  The scent is pretty nice.  Subtle.  Some of the fragrances I've sampled through Birchbox have been pretty overpowering.  This one is not.  I like that!

Full price: $85.00 for 50 ml {as always, too expensive - I don't have a line item for perfumes in my budget!}

Suki | Exfoliate Foaming Cleanser - I love the fresh lemony scent of this cleanser.  I wish the sample size were bigger.  It is sample size, of course, but I like it!  I may have to purchase this - but the price is a little steep.  I may use my Birchbox points and treat myself one day.

Full price: $32.95 for 4 oz {maybe I'll use my points for this one day, but kind of pricey}

Beauty Extras:

Davines | Love Smoothing Conditioner - The price of this product is a bit off-putting.  That said, I was actually unable to sample it because the completely sealed sample packet was completely empty!  I did email Birchbox about that.  We'll see what they do.

Full price: $27.50 {not sure how I'd rate a sample I couldn't try, but the price is too high for me anyway}

Davines | Oi / Oil Absolute Beautifying Potion  - "An antioxidant-packed potion to instantly tame frizz and strengthen hair over time".  Sounds interesting!  Of course, the benefits can't be truly be determined with a sample pakage, and the $40 price tag puts this out of my price range for hair products right now.  Still a good product to sample though.

Full price: $40.00 {out of my price range}

All in all, a better box than I've been getting lately.  I would love to have sampled a broader selection of product brands, rather than only a few different ones.  I am looking forward to hearing from Birchbox regarding the lack of product inside the one package.  Hopefully they can send me a replacement sample.  I look forward to using these products as I await my July box in a month!

~~~~~

If you are interested in Birchbox, it's $10 a month for the subscription.  You earn 10 points for every $10 spent.  When you've spent $100, you earn $10 to use in their shop!  You can earn points shopping in their shop as well.  Also, you can earn points by referring friends! To date, I have used about $60 worth of points for free products!

If you are interested in subscribing for yourself, click HERE to receive more information!

If you already subscribe to Birchbox, what was in your box this month??

{note: the opinions in this post are strictly my own and I have in no way been compensated for this review}

Previous reviews:
April 2013March 2013February 2013 | January 2013December 2012November 2012 | October 2012 | September 2012 | August 2012 | July 2012 | June 2012 | May 2012 | April 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.