Friday, March 22, 2013

Orange "Dreamsicle" Cake {A Recipe}

The other night, my small group was going to be meeting at my house, so I needed to figure out what type of dessert to serve.  I wanted to make something rather than buy.  Fortunately, at the same time I was considering what to make, I saw a photo shared on Facebook for an Orange Dreamsicle Cake.  It looked amazing!  I decided then and there that that is what we would be having.

As I read through the comments on the picture, I soon realized that people were having issues with the photo and recipe not being what it claimed to be.  Yes, they all agreed it looked amazing, but some said there was no way that the recipe attached to the photo would cause it to turn out like the photo.  In fact, one person suggested the photo was for a particular store-bought brand.  I couldn't tell you for sure if that was the cake, but I'm inclined to believe it was more professionally made than the photo claimed.  I also agree that the recipe didn't match the photo.

That said...the recipe still looked great and I still went for it.  As I believe that this recipe is not unique to this particular person, I will just state that it is not my unique recipe.  In fact, if you do a Google search for "poke cakes", there are several thousand results that come up.  I'm sharing my version of the Orange "Dreamsicle" Cake!

You Will Need:

1 yellow cake mix {be sure you check the cake box for any additional ingredients you may need}
2 small packages of orange gelatin
1 small package of vanilla instant pudding
1 tub of whipped topping
milk
vanilla

Recipe:

First, you will need to bake the yellow cake.  Simply follow the directions on the cake box itself.  


Mix the ingredients together and pour into a 13" x 9" pan.  Bake per the instructions on the box.


When the cake is finished, cool it completely and then poke holes all over the cake.


Mix one small package of orange gelatin.  First with one cup of boiling water.  Stir until the gelatin has completely dissolved.  Then mix in one cup of cold water.  Pour over the top of the cake.  Be sure you cover the whole cake!  Refrigerate for 4 hours.


The next step is really up to you.  I decided that I did not want to serve the cake in the baking pan with the frosting just on the top of the cake.  I decided to make mine a layer cake, so I cut the cake in half and turned it out onto a platter.  The gelatin had set, so it was a little tricky getting the first half out of the pan, but it worked!  You can see how the gelatin worked its way throughout the cake.


For the frosting, mix the package of vanilla instant pudding with one cup of milk.  Then you add the other small package of orange gelatin {just the crystals - you do not mix the jello itself} and 2 tsp of vanilla.


Once that is blended together, fold in one tub of whipped topping.  That's your frosting - finished!


As I decided to make my cake a layer cake, I spread a layer of the frosting on top of the first layer, careful to ensure that there was enough on the "lower" side of the cake to even out the surface of the cake.  I then carefully placed the second layer on top and began to frost the cake top and sides.


I was actually finishing this up at about 7:00 in the morning and was in a hurry to finish so I could get it into the fridge before taking my daughter to the bus, so the finished product isn't as neat and tidy as it might have been otherwise.  However, this was my finished product:


This Orange "Dreamsicle" cake is absolutely delicious.   It is actually very light and refreshing.  One piece simply doesn't seem like enough!  I will definitely have to search out other versions of poke cakes to try in the future.  Just off the top of my head, though, I think that it would be wonderful with strawberry gelatin instead of orange.  In fact, I think if I were doing that, I would probably place a layer of strawberries in between the layers of cake.

 photo signature_zps058cf4af.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.