Wednesday, February 20, 2013

God's Children - Into the Word Wednesdays - v 22 {Link Up}

I feel awkward.  I feel like I've been missing in action for a while and now I'm here, yet I'm not sure what I have to say will have meaning.  I wanted to get back to this amazing link up, but I've been behind on my Scripture reading for a while, so I wasn't sure what to write on.

If you're a regular around here, you might be wondering where I've been or why my daily posts have been lacking lately.  Unless you've been keeping up with my daughter Peyton's blog, you wouldn't know that Peyton went into the hospital for a second time.  Recall that I wrote on the 6th that Peyton was in the hospital.  She was having respiratory issues.  She was in the hospital from the Tuesday to the Friday of that week.  She was not diagnosed with anything.  Rather, it seems that what is going on with her is a decline in her overall health.  As Ron said to me, Peyton's health is kind of like the story of the boiling frog.  What's happening with her has been happening for almost 7 years.  It's been slow.  It's just that now it seems like things are on the decline and the progress has sped up in an uncomfortable way.



Then we get to last week.  As if to further prove the point that Peyton's health is declining, we wound up back in the ER with her a week ago Sunday because she had a seriously swollen right lower leg and left lower arm.  There were no answers.  We were given the option to stay or go home.  Knowing Peyton, I opted to stay for observation because she can get really bad really fast.  We didn't know what was going on, and it didn't make sense.  With no answer and, therefore, no treatment, I felt like it was best to stay.


I could go into tremendous detail, but the condensed version of this story is that Peyton now suffers from a brittle bone-like disease.  Not the typical "brittle bone disease" you may have heard of.  But similar.  Brought on by a multitude of reasons, and is just showing up now in the form of multiple fractures.






The metatarsal did wind up being a fracture.  In addition to these fractures, she has two vertebral compression fractures.  That's five fractures of unexplained origin.  Let's just say I have a pretty good understanding now of what happens when a non-communicative child presents with multiple unexplained fractures.  That said, it is well and truly noted that it is a result of her medical condition and these fractures have occurred silently over the past 4-5 weeks or so.  One compression fracture even dates back to around September, judging by her imaging history at the hospital.

One has to ask WHY??  Has Peyton not had enough?  Is it not enough that she suffers constantly with respiratory ailments and a constellation of other issues that threaten to take her from us far sooner than we would like.  Is it not enough that we as her parents are now in a position where we must start thinking ahead to things that parents shouldn't ever have to think about for their child?  Yet now we have this new issue.  It brings with is considerable challenges and questions.  Not to mention the fears it has stirred within us and the incredible physical pain it has caused her.

Friends, we are hurting.  We don't understand, but we trust God that whatever is going on is part of His plan.  Yet I cannot comprehend the suffering of a child being a part of any good plan, yet we are told:

And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.  {Romans 8:28}

I know that we are not alone in our suffering of the things of this world.  I won't go into detail because these stories are not mine to tell, but my neighbor's baby has been in the hospital for about a week now and has to have exploratory surgery Thursday.  I found out Sunday that my cousin's little boy has a tumor.  As I type this Tuesday night, he is being closed up after surgery.  I don't know the nature or extent of his issues, but this little guy needs fervent prayer.  The sweet baby girl from next door too.


I cannot tell you how it pains me to hear stories of children suffering.  It is senseless.  It is beyond comprehension that this happens.  Yet it does, and yet my faith tells me that whatever the reason, whatever the outcome, God's got this.  He is the great healer.  The earthly problem is that sometimes His healing doesn't come in ways that we would like.  I certainly cannot speak to the other children's issues.  From what I have heard about my cousin's son, if you are a praying person, I'd amp up the prayers for him.  I can speak to Peyton's condition and I'd ask that you amp up the prayers for her.  This little boy's condition is sudden and shocking and I don't know what the outlook is.  Peyton's condition has been on-going, steadily worsening and now is at a point where I'm not sure what her outlook is.

So the focus of my thoughts on Scripture is healing.  Here are some verses in which to take comfort:

Lord, help!” they cried in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress.  

He sent out his word and healed them, snatching them from the door of death.  Let them praise the Lord for his great love and for the wonderful things he has done for them.  {Psalm 107:19-21}


O LORD my God, I called to you for help and you healed me.  {Psalm 30:2}

Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted.  But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.  {Isaiah 53:4-5}

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.  {Psalm 147:3}

Heal me, O LORD, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise.  {Jeremiah 17:14}

What are some of your "go to" verses on healing?  Where do you find comfort and hope?

I've been focusing a lot of worship music and this song from Chris Tomlin's new Burning Lights album has brought me much comfort.  We sang it in church on Sunday.  What made it even more special as a church body is that one of our worship leaders wrote it for Chris Tomlin.  God is sovereign.  He is a mighty healer and He gives us strength.


"God whatever comes my way, I will trust you."  Sigh.  Deep breath.  Yes, Lord.  Whatever you bring into our lives - into Peyton's life - I will trust You.


~~~~~

I would LOVE it if you linked up with a post about what God is showing you in the Word, or in your life. Please also stop by and see what God has been teaching my beautiful co-hosts this week: 


Becky at Tales of Beauty for Ashes
Kelly at The Houtz House Party
Falen at Upward Not Inward 
Kelly at Exceptionalistic


Into the Word Wednesday Blog Hop Rules:
1. Write a post about what God is teaching you this week.
2.  Follow the host and hostess. 
3. Grab a button to put on your blog - the more the merrier!
4. Check out (and comment) other people's blogs and be blessed by all the sisters and brothers around the world!


Into The Word Wednesdays


 photo signature_zps058cf4af.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.