Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Thoughts on Valentine's Day

Friends, I want to welcome Stephanie from Red Letter Paper Co. to my blog today!  I featured her card company this past November when we were talking about Christmas.  Valentine's Day is now creeping up on us and Stephanie is here to share some thoughts on that holiday!  Please welcome Stephanie!

~~~~~

Why Valentine's Day isn't just for lovers.

When I was in high school, my single friends and I used to have an Anti-Valentine's Day party every year. If you had a boyfriend, you weren't invited. We ate a humongous chocolate chip cookie cake and bags and bags of peanut butter M&Ms. And watched sappy romantic movies.

Of course my disdain of Valentine's Day changed once there was a man in my life. I was totally into it. The rows of teddy bears at the store no longer made me roll my eyes and the hundreds of boxes of chocolate just made me wonder which one he'd pick for me.

valentine cards

Now, you might expect someone who runs a greeting card company to tell you why Valentine's Day is so great and you should buy stacks of valentine cards. And I'm about to. But it's not what you think.

See, most people think Valentine's Day is just about them and someone they can kiss. But it shouldn't be.
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’" Matthew 22:37-39
valentine cards
You might be a little hard-pressed to get a valentine card all the way to heaven. But that second part, "Love your neighbor as yourself," you can totally do. And chances are there are a lot of those "neighbors" who don't have someone to make them feel loved this Valentine's Day. What if you gave a card to someone you wouldn't normally give one to? What if you gave one to someone you don't know at all?

This holiday doesn't have to be about cartoon babies carrying arrows and all the romantic mush. Can it be? Sure. {I'm never gonna turn down a box of chocolate.} But I've been challenged this year to make it more about loving others than wondering what's in it for me.

If only my high-school self had known.

You are here heart valentine card



~~~~~

I just love Stephanie's thoughts on Valentine's Day!  Don't you?  I have purchased and received several of her cards myself, so I can personally vouch for the quality of the cards.  You will not be disappointed!  I hope you will take a moment to visit her shop.  Consider buying some valentines from her this year!

You can find Red Letter Paper Co. here:

Shop || Facebook || Twitter || Blog || Pinterest || Instagram

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.