Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Daniel Fast - Food For Thought


Beginning a Daniel Fast can be daunting.  It's pretty extreme.  If you're like the average person, you probably consume far more processed and refined foods than you realize.  The Daniel Fast knocks those right out of your diet - along with a whole lot of other things.  Daniel 1:8-14 is where our Daniel Fast originates.

"Please test us for ten days on a diet of vegetables and water," Daniel said.  "At the end of the ten days, see how we look compared to the other young men who are eating the king's food."  {Daniel 1:12-13}

Vegetables and water.  That's extreme!  Especially for a person like myself who pretty much hates vegetables!  Yet here I am preparing for the fast which will begin tomorrow.  There are so many resources online which are available to help you out.  I found one resource and pulled together a quick list of what is and what is not allowed on the Daniel Fast.  You can click on the image to bring you to the reference page for this information.

So now you have the list of what is and isn't acceptable, but where do you go from here?  Let me help you out.  If you browse around online, you will find plenty of books and websites which will provide you with a wealth of resources for recipes for your 21 day fast.  The past couple years, we have stuck pretty much to the same recipes that I have discovered.  We actually don't have a broad range.  You can get pretty creative, but buying all of the proper foods for this plan can get very costly, especially when you buy fresh and organic.  I don't know about you, but we're on a tight budget, so we've limited our scope.

In addition to these online resources, you can check out my Daniel Fast board on Pinterest.  Every time I have blogged about a recipe I tried for the fast, I pinned some pictures and posted them to this board.  You can go there now and see what I've cooked up in the past!  Note that I have posted multiple pictures for the same post in some instances.

The fast with my church will begin the evening of January 2nd, immediately following our First Wednesday service.  What this means for me is that I don't have to worry about any foods until the morning of January 3rd.  Breakfast.  That, friends, is my easiest meal of all the meals I've had on the Daniel Fast.  This fruit smoothie is my breakfast of choice during the fast.  In fact, I will have these most mornings.  Clicking on that photo will bring you to a post where I share this and a few other quick and easy recipes.  


Going to that post should be enough to help get you started for the next couple days.  Do some research.  Find some recipes online {mine or otherwise} and try them out.  If you have a recipe you already love, feel free to share it in the link below.

I look forward to entering into this journey with you!



Daniel Fast 2013



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.