Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Daniel Fast - Day 9 Devotional


Today's Day 9 devotional is coming from YouVersion's 21 Day Fast reading plan.  Each day you will find devotional content as well as scripture readings for the day.  The scripture for Day 9 is Romans 12.

"And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you.  Let them be a living and holy sacrifice - the kind he will find acceptable.  This is truly the way to worship him."  {Romans 12:1}

I think the very first verse of this scripture passage says it all.  "Give your bodies to God...Let them be a living and holy sacrifice..."

When I read this verse, I think about the fact that this is the body that God has given to me.  It is with this body that I am living my life - living a life that should be according to His plan and purpose for me.  The verse is a conviction and a challenge all at once.   What am I putting into this body?  Is what I am putting into this body causing me to be able or unable to do God's will for me?  Is what I am putting into this body a source of distraction between me and the relationship that God wants me to have with Him?  If I am being totally honest with myself, is my body worthy of calling a "living and holy sacrifice"?

That's the conviction part.  Here's the challenge.  Take all those statements and then ask yourself one simple question - What am I going to do about it??  If you're any average person, there's a good chance that you've found that there are things that you are doing to or are putting into your body that are keeping you from being in the best shape possible to honor and serve God.  Identify those things and challenge yourself to do whatever it is that needs to be done to make the necessary improvements.  Honor God in how you treat your body!

I think that this is the biggest thing that jumped out at me in reading this passage this time around.  I could write a whole post on how we are all part of one body, each with a purpose affecting the body {v 4-5}.  I could also write at length about how God has uniquely gifted each and every one of us for the purpose of serving Him {v 6-8}.  Those verses have, at one time or another, really stuck out above all others in this chapter.  Today, though, it's all about verse 1.  For me, it's a call to step up to the plate and be intentional for once about how I treat myself.  It's about waking up and seeing that, yes, this is an area in which I fail constantly.  I must do better in this area.  In order to serve Him best, I must treat this body better.  For example, if part of honoring God lies in how I care for my children, if I am not in the physical shape to be the best intentional parent I can be, then how is that truly honoring Him?

I must do better.  Grateful for a merciful God who knows this before I know it myself and who is forgiving and offers grace when I am weak.

If you are doing a fast right now, how is it going for you?  What are your major challenges right now?  What are you learning so far?  Do you have any advice to share on how to get through the difficult moments of the fast?  I'd love to hear!

I will be sharing devotionals such as this and other ideas to help you through this journey.  If you are reading a bible plan or devotional during this fast, what are you learning?  I would love it if we could share our insights so that we can be a support to each other during this time.  Link up below and grab a button while you're at it!


Daniel Fast 2013

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.