Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Daniel Fast - Day 5 Devotional


Today's Day 5 devotional is coming from YouVersion's 21 Day Fast reading plan.  Each day you will find devotional content as well as scripture readings for the day.  The scripture for Day 5 is Matthew 6:5-18.  This passage is a challenging one.

"And when you fast, don't make it obvious, as the hypocrites do, for they try to look miserable and disheveled so people will admire them for their fasting.  I tell you the truth, that is the only reward they will ever get.  But when you fast, comb your hair and wash your face.  Then no one will notice that you are fasting, except your Fat, who knows what you do in private.  And your Father, who sees everything, will reward you."

It is, all at once, convicting.  This passage talks about how your time of prayer and fasting is meant to be private - between you and God.  It is also convicting for me because if you have been around me at home this weekend, you would know how I am doing on this fast.  I feel convicted because of how the fast itself - the actual dietary changes - have affected me.  I know God sees this {as well as my husband!} and I know that I need to make a change.

As for the "private" part - the reasons for my fast are truly between me and God.  The prayers of my heart during this time of fasting are between me and God.  That's not for this blog or for other conversation.

So why am I blogging about the fast?  I am blogging about fasting in general as a way to provide a resource to others who might also be fasting.  I want to support and encourage others in their fasting.  I want to share these scripture insights to provide encouragement as well.  I am not doing this for "fame" or numbers or for some form of personal gain.

The devotional content today says:

"Pray today asking God to uncover your motives for fasting d ask for ways you can seek the encouragement you need without clouding your heart with pride."

If you are doing a fast right now, how is it going for you?  What are your major challenges right now?  What are you learning so far?  Do you have any advice to share on how to get through the difficult moments of the fast?  I'd love to hear!

I will be sharing devotionals such as this and other ideas to help you through this journey.  If you are reading a bible plan or devotional during this fast, what are you learning?  I would love it if we could share our insights so that we can be a support to each other during this time.  Link up below and grab a button while you're at it!


Daniel Fast 2013

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.