Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Daniel Fast - Day 4 Devotional


Today's Day 4 devotional is coming from YouVersion's 21 Day Fast reading plan.  Each day you will find devotional content as well as scripture readings for the day.  The scripture for Day 4 is Psalms 119.  According to the devotional content on YouVersion, this is the longest psalm.

I find it interesting that the reading for today coincides with what has been the hardest day for me so far.  I'm still thinking about foods I'd love to be eating, but I'm doing ok in that area...so far.  What is hard for me is that I am so incredibly tired.  Exhausted.  True, I haven't had a decent night's sleep in a few days.  But it feels like that's not the sole reason for being so physically drained.  I haven't had a drop of caffeine since prior to the fast starting this past Wednesday night.  I just want to sleep right now, yet the reading I am faced with today seems absolutely monumental.  Psalm 119, as I said, is the longest psalm - to the tune of 176 verses.

What I need to point out to you is that there is a common thread that runs throughout this whole passage {yes, I did read the whole psalm}.  The Word.  The law.  The writer of the psalm expresses the love of the Word and delight in the law all throughout the verses of this psalm.

"Joyful are people of integrity who follow the instructions of the Lord.  Joyful are those who obey his laws and search for him with all their hearts.  They do not compromise with evil, and they walk only in his paths."  {v 1-3}

Right out of the gate, as a reader, I am being told that those who follow the law of the Lord are joyful.  Not sleepy and wishing the daily reading were shorter.  Joyful.  It was a bit of an awakening for me to read that.  I should be joyful in the Word and what God has given to me.  I should delight in it and never think any of this to be a chore.  This is where I am reminded about how this time of fasting is meant to be a spiritual awakening so that I can shift my focus back to where it belongs.

The psalm also states over and over how the laws are a source of wisdom and guidance.  They aren't just nice thoughts to read.  There are portions of the psalm in which the writer cries out to God for more guidance and the ability to stand firm against those who try to tear them away from what is right.

The devotional content for today states:

"This longest psalm in the Bible is primarily about a passion for God's Word.  These 21 days you've set apart will be much richer by combining Bible reading with your fasting and prayer....How would you describe your passion for God's word at this moment?  Pray today that God will increase that fire in your heart during this time."

I would find it difficult to do this fast without engaging in a reading plan to accompany it.  That is why I selected this 21 Day Fast reading plan through YouVersion.  Are you reading scriptures or devotionals to help you through?  What helps you on your fasting journey?

If you are doing a fast right now, how is it going for you?  What are your major challenges right now?  What are you learning so far?  Do you have any advice to share on how to get through the difficult moments of the fast?  I'd love to hear!

I will be sharing devotionals such as this and other ideas to help you through this journey.  If you are reading a bible plan or devotional during this fast, what are you learning?  I would love it if we could share our insights so that we can be a support to each other during this time.  Link up below and grab a button while you're at it!


Daniel Fast 2013

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.