Sunday, January 27, 2013

Our Hospital Visit

My older daughter, Moira, became ill suddenly on Thursday night.  This child rarely gets sick.  She had come downstairs to tell me that her tummy hurt.  Not long afterwards, she was in the bathroom having multiple issues.  She was crying and feeling sick and, well, I won't go into detail on that.  She stayed home from school on Friday.  She was still throwing up and was not able to keep anything down at all.  She also began running a fever.  

Saturday came and she threw up some more.  As it was, on Friday there was nothing left in her stomach to throw up, so it was just stomach acids {which Moira now declares that she should have been at least 12 years old before she knew what those were!}.  Her lips were dry, skin felt dry, and she looked pretty bad.  I put a call in to the pediatrician's office, but I was concerned enough that I told my husband we just needed to go to the ER.  The nurse called me while we were en route to the hospital, about 2 hours after I'd originally called.

We went to the ER at MUSC - it's the children's hospital ER.  We are extremely familiar with it because of all the trips we've made.  Moira's spent her share of time in the ER as well - but not as the patient.  We saw a lot of familiar faces, which was great, but they all knew us as Peyton's parents.  It was kind of strange to be doing this with Moira.  She very rarely ever gets sick - and certainly not to the point of going to the ER - yet here we were.

I'm not sure Moira even noticed this on the wall.  To be honest, that's probably for the best.  I don't think it would make me feel better about being in the ER.  It's kind of creepy.  There is an "undersea" theme that runs throughout the hospital.  You will find things like this in patient rooms in the various units as well.

Moira needed fluids.  I knew this.  That is why I wanted to get her to the ER.  She did not like the idea of getting an IV.  The nurse and child life specialist were very good about how they described what was going to happen, being very careful to avoid words like "needle" or "IV".  Moira was concerned they were going to have to slice her arm open in surgery.  We reassured her that that was not the case!

They put a patch on her arm.  It becomes warm and there is something in it that help to numb the area and the warmth helps the veins stand out more.  She was nervous about this, but we told her it was just like a big bandaid.  That stayed on for 30 minutes.  When it was time to try to start the IV, the child life specialist was in the room.  She had an iPad and some books to help distract her.  She did fine until the needle went in.  Then came the tears and screaming.  She had an IV a couple times as a baby and toddler, but she wouldn't remember that.  We did everything we could to help her, but to no avail.  Then the vein blew.  

The nurse was going to have to try again.  Moira fought it so hard - clenching up her arm and using her other arm to try to pull the nurse's hand away.  I tried to get that hand back and she had a death grip going on there!  I've never seen anything like it.  She actually wasn't gripping anyone or anything, but when I was trying to pull her hand back over she just tightened up and clenched her hand so tight.  I felt horrible for her.  Needless to say, this was not going to work.  I asked if they could give her something to relax her.

They went out and talked to the doctor.  They returned with a new plan.  They decided to give her some Zofran {a dissolving pill} and then start giving her tiny tiny bits of Gatorade every 15 minutes to see how she would tolerate it.  She did well.  After the first hour, they doubled what they'd been giving her and she tolerated that as well.  You could tell she was finally starting to perk up a little.  Amazing!  We were discharged and went on our way home.

We were to continue with the Gatorade regimen at home.  We got a prescription for Zofran but we really only need to fill it if she starts throwing up again.  So far we have not had that problem {as I write this at 7pm Saturday}.  Keep your fingers crossed!

Moira continues to perk up more and more and is getting out of bed and being more chatty.  All good signs.  Unless I was in her room between Thursday night and Saturday morning, I never heard a peep from her.

Please pray that she continues to do well.  But also pray that this is an isolated case and that the rest of us {especially Peyton} manage to remain healthy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.