Saturday, December 29, 2012

Daniel Fast 2013


As the year draws to a close, we are looking ahead to the new year.  New beginnings.  New possibilities.  New fears.  New concerns.  New worries.  Yet there are also challenges that we might be carrying forward from this year into next and we've got concerns over how all of that will play out as we move into 2013.  Maybe we have some personal vices that we need to shake.  Maybe there's a life concern that isn't about us specifically, but about someone dear to us.

As a church, my church is going to be uniting together in a 21 day period of fasting.  It is going to officially begin on the evening of January 2nd, 2013 immediately following our First Wednesday service.  That evening, I am sure that we will be learning all about what the fast is about and what we can do ourselves.

This will be our third year {Ron and I} to participate in this period of fasting.  In 2011, the fast was kicked off at a First Wednesday service by a visiting pastor, Stovall Weems, of Celebration Church in Jacksonville, Florida.  The message he gave was based on his book Awakening.  In addition to discussing the importance of fasting, there are devotionals and scriptures available to help you along the 21 day fasting journey.

Fasting means that you are withholding something from your life.  It could be coffee, tv, or forms of social networking.  We have done a Daniel Fast each year, and that is what we intend to do again.  When you remove something from your life, be it food or media or whatever else it might be, you are removing a distraction that is drawing you away from God.  It is an opportunity to reflect on any sin that may arise because of having that distraction as a part of your life.  There is a focus to the fast.  It isn't just about ceasing your caffeine intake or limiting your status updates.  I have held in my heart a very specific prayer intention during my time of fasting.  My focus is that intention.  My prayers are more intentional, it seems.  My prayers seem more fervent.

This period of 21 days is a time to tune out some of the distractions in life that are keeping you from God, focusing on what we truly need from Him, praying specific and fervent prayers, and leaning in to Him and allowing God to move in our lives.

Would you like to join me?  I would love to have you.  Let me know if you are interested.  Or maybe you already have plans to begin a fast of your own at the start of the new year.  I will be posting about my Daniel Fast throughout the 21 days.  It would be great to be able to support each other through this time - sharing stories, prayer requests, recipes, and so on.  You don't have to be part of my church to do this.  I think this is a valuable part of any Christian's life!  Please feel free to grab the button below to help spread the word.

Daniel Fast 2013
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.