Monday, November 5, 2012

Thankful For...Ancestors!

My Ancestors!

Of course I am thankful for all my ancestors on both sides of my family.  I am certainly not ignoring all of my Dad's family!  That said, I am thankful in this post for my maternal ancestors.

Why?

Today would have been my Granny and Granda's 78th wedding anniversary.
My Granda - George Currie - was born October 13, 1918 in Greenock, Scotland.  He passed away October 5, 1990 in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario {Canada}.


My Granny - Sarah Robertson - was born April 14, 1914 in Greenock, Scotland.  Since I have a number of relations with birthdays, anniversaries, and so on that were on the same date as something else, I will share that she was born exactly two years after the sinking of the Titanic.  She passed away  January 24, 1992 in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario {Canada}.


They married on November 5, 1934.  As I said, today would have been their 78th wedding anniversary.  Together, my grandparents had six children - 5 girls and one boy.  My mother was the youngest of the lot.  She's the little cutie pie in the bottom left below.  Sadly, half the children in this picture have since passed, as well as my grandparents.  The three girls {my mom included} on the left side of the picture all passed from one form of cancer or another.

When I look at the picture below, I don't just see eight individual faces.  I see the faces of so many cousins as well as my sister.  My grandparents had 18 grandchildren.  I am third youngest.  I think I've lost count of the great grands, but there are many!  I see their faces in the faces in this picture as well.

I have heard so many times in my life that I look just like my mother as well as my grandmother.  What do you think??  Yes, that is me below circa 1973!


Today I am thankful for my ancestors - my grandparents in a particular way today.  I am thankful for their strong characters, their incredible faith, and the example that they set for their own children who, in turn, have passed along those values to my generation and beyond.
I hope and pray that my own life is one that would meet with their approval today if they were still here.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.