Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Into the Word Wednesdays - v. 16

I began a new online Bible study recently.  This one was far different from the daily bible readings that I have been doing.  Instead of simply reading specific scripture for the day and gaining a little nugget of insight out of those readings, I got into an online study you may have heard about!
SheReadsTruth
The study of Philippians began on October 22nd.  You can find the plan here.  It's an 11 day study.  The ladies at She Reads Truth have a devotional each day that goes along with the passage.  You can then visit their blog to interact with the community who are also participating in the study.  Here are some of the thoughts I journaled from the days that I read:


This is my first time following a She Reads Truth study. It is such an encouragement this morning to read this passage. I think that there is an ongoing daily struggle because we are so bound by chains to the things of this world. This passage is clearly telling us that there is something within us that is of God and that we can nurture it and cause it to grow within us. We will grow in knowledge, wisdom and understanding that comes from Him. While He is not promising us an easy road, He is promising us rich blessings that will come out of the overflow of this work that we have cared for. When we fix our lives on what is truly important {Him}, it brings honor and glory to Him and we will be richly blessed in doing so. So the question for me today is what am I fixing myself on and does it glorify Him?


I think the verse that jumps off the page for me is v. 29 "For you have been given not only the privilege of trusting in Christ but also the privilege of suffering for him."  When I consider my own circumstances, it's hard to say that I am "suffering" because the challenges that I face involve having a 6 year old medically fragile child.  I don't consider taking care of my child "suffering".  That said, our family's life has undergone so many challenges and issues that I would never wish on others.  I know, however, that it is a privilege and a blessing to have her in our lives.  I came to the realization a while back that He entrusted her to our care, if only for a short while.  I believe that she has a purpose.  I believe that through her, we are able to be a witness for Him.  So, as it states in v. 29, it is a privilege to trust in Christ through this experience.  I feel like I am only doing what I am supposed to be doing as her mother, but as I  sit here on day 15 of her hospitalization, I am fully trusting in Him for answers and for healing.  I believe He can use our situation for His glory if we only allow it.


I love this passage today.  What jumped out at me was verse 5 - "You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had..."  As soon as I began reading the entire passage, I thought, for heaven's sake, it's NOT ABOUT YOU!!!  Even Jesus himself didn't think it was all about him, so how on earth can anything in this world be about ourselves??  We must adopt an attitude of humility and obedience and just LOVE one another as Christ Jesus himself loved.  That means loving everyone - not just those people it's "convenient" for you to love!


Today I found this passage convicting. Especially verse 14 "Do everything without complaining and arguing, 15 so that no one can criticize you..."  This is an area where I sometimes have difficulty.  My daughter has been in the hospital 17 days (hopefully going home today, Praise God!!).  The other day, while her respiratory treatments were going on, the therapist stepped out of the room.  Instead of observing my daughter, she spent the next 20-25 minutes in the hall at her mobile cart on the computer....on facebook...with her back to my child!  I was inwardly furious and could list a million reasons why this was so horrible.  Instead of asking her or anyone else why she wasn't providing proper care for my child, I did the next best thing.  I posted a statement of disbelief...on facebook.  (Sigh.)  I had a picture and everything.  Yes, this situation was horribly inappropriate and unprofessional.  If something happened to my child, it would not look favorably on the RT.  That said, I was convicted on this.  The person who mentioned this to me did so out of love and suggested that as a table leader in our women's ministry, it might not be appropriate for me to be posting that.  I took no offense...she was right.  I was convicted, humbled, and I removed the posts.  I didn't think at the time that it was anything other than stating a fact.  But I shouldn't have done that.  I could have handled it with out doing that.  It certainly wasn't an example of me "being a light".  And this passage this morning convicted me again.  I needed that.  And I sincerely apologize for not handling that situation in a way that honored God.  Thankful that He is a loving and merciful God!

~~~~~

I have to say that with everything going on, I found it a challenge to keep up with a lot of things, including bible reading.  #SheReadsTruth is now on a new study of Colossians which you can find here.

~~~~~
I would LOVE it if you linked up with a post about what God is showing you in the Word, or in your life. Please also stop by and see what God has been teaching my beautiful co-hosts this week: 

Becky at Tales of Beauty for Ashes
Kelly at The Houtz House Party
Falen at Upward Not Inward 
Kelly at Exceptionalistic

Into the Word Wednesday Blog Hop Rules:

1. Write a post about what God is teaching you this week.
2.  Follow the host and hostess. 
3. Grab a button to put on your blog - the more the merrier!
4. Check out (and comment) other people's blogs and be blessed by all the sisters and brothers around the world!

Into The Word Wednesdays


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.