Monday, October 1, 2012

On The Menu : Ginger Spicy Chicken

It has been a while since I posted a recipe here. In all honesty, it has been quite a while since I actually made a meal that took more than a couple minutes effort. I am hoping that as we get settled into our new place and as life returns to "normal", I can get back to some form of meal planning. This weekend I did cook and I thought I would share this recipe with you.

Years and years ago, my grandmother gave my sister and I several of these little spiral bound cookbooks of varying themes. We split them between us. One of mine is from "Award-Winning Chicken Recipes". The little book was published in 1990 and that's probably around the time I received it. I have tried a few of the recipes in the book and they've been absolutely fantastic. The one I made is called Ginger Spicy Chicken. As the cookbook shares "Pricilla Yee form Concord, California was the grand prize winner in the Pace Picante Sauce 40th Anniversary Recipe Contest, sponsored  Pace Foods, Inc." Just thought I would throw that in there so I could give credit where credit is due!

The recipe calls for 2 whole chicken breast, split, skinned and boned. I always just buy a package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts - whatever's cheapest, whether that's 3 or 4 in a package and I work with that.

Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a skillet.

Lightly salt the chicken breasts. Add to the skillet. Cook on medium heat on each side until the chicken is browned. When done, remove from the skillet, set aside and keep warm.


Slice some bell peppers.  The actual recipe calls for one medium red bell pepper and one medium green bell pepper. Our grocery store sells "stop light bell peppers" - that is, a pre-wrapped package containing one each of red, yellow, and green bell peppers. This was cheaper than buying the individual red and green bell peppers. I sliced up all three for my version of this recipe.


Place the bell pepper strips in the skillet.


The recipe calls for one 8 oz can of pineapple chunks, undrained. I had purchased a 20 oz can, so I used about half of the juice and all of the pineapple chunks. 


Add 1/2 cup of Pace picante sauce. You can use your favorite brand and flavor. I like to use something with a bit of a kick.


Add 2 tbsp chopped cilantro or parsley and 2-3 tsp grated fresh ginger or 3/4 to 1 tsp ground ginger. I used dried cilantro - about 1 tbsp - and about 1 tsp of ground ginger. 


Mix everything together and then you'll want to cook this for 5-7 minutes. You want the peppers to be tender and the sauce to thicken up just a bit. 


Add the chicken back to the skillet. Heat through.


While I was cooking everything else, I got my rice cooker going with a batch of white rice. I served the chicken over a bed of white rice. A healthier option would be to use brown rice.


This recipe is one of my favorite "go to" recipes for our family. It's also easy to prepare.
Enjoy!!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.