Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Into the Word Wednesdays - v. 15 - It's Not About You

I have been reading through Philippians along with #SheReadsTruth for the past week or so.  I have to say that I have fallen a little behind, but I'm working on catching up on all my reading!

One of the passages that has struck me most was Philippians 2:1-11:

Have the Attitude of Christ

Is there any encouragement from belonging to Christ? Any comfort from his love? Any fellowship together in the Spirit? Are your hearts tender and compassionate? Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one mind and purpose.
Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.

You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had.
Though he was God,[a]
    he did not think of equality with God
    as something to cling to.
Instead, he gave up his divine privileges[b];
    he took the humble position of a slave[c]
    and was born as a human being.
When he appeared in human form,[d]
    he humbled himself in obedience to God
    and died a criminal’s death on a cross.
Therefore, God elevated him to the place of highest honor
    and gave him the name above all other names,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
    in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
    to the glory of God the Father.

Have an attitude like Christ Jesus.

What a statement.  What a challenge!

When I consider my everyday walk, how often do I stop to consider how my actions reflect Christ?  Do I ever really consider it?  If not, why not??  If so, how do I measure up??

I think in our society, the emphasis has shifted dangerously far from Christ.  The emphasis is increasingly being placed on self.  Social media, television, advertising, and so on are bombarding us with all of the myriad ways we can promote our own needs.  It is rare that we are bombarded with all the ways we can promote others above ourselves.  In fact, it seems to me that we are sometimes even viewed as week, or lesser people when we don't strive to be all we can be, gaining fame and fortune for ourselves!  I think that's a pretty sad commentary, that in striving to have less so that the less fortunate can benefit, some might view that as being weak!

When we only look out for number 1 {ourselves}, we are ignoring the needs of countless others.  When we don't take the time to consider the impact of our actions on others, we do them a disservice. On the other hand, when we adopt a humble attitude, one of putting others needs ahead of our own, we become more Christ like.  That is "Christ-like" - no one can ever equate themselves with Him!  We must remember that Christ himself humbled himself in all that he did.  He put himself last and made friends among "the least of these".  Take a look at Matthew 25:31-40.  Right there in that scripture, we are told that whatever we do to "the least of these", we do to Him.  Scripture is telling us that our actions are a reflection of our love for Him.  If we're putting ourselves ahead of everyone else, we're putting ourselves above Him!  If we adopt an attitude of service and put others ahead of our own needs, guess what, we're being more like Him!

We honor and dishonor God in all that we do {and don't do}.  I need to check myself too - I'm far from perfect in this area.  But I am thankful for this passage as a reminder that God is worth humbling ourselves for.   After all, it's not about YOU...it's about HIM!

~~~~~

I would LOVE it if you linked up with a post about what God is showing you in the Word, or in your life. Please also stop by and see what God has been teaching my beautiful co-hosts this week: 

Becky at Tales of Beauty for Ashes
Kelly at The Houtz House Party
Falen at Upward Not Inward 
Kelly at Exceptionalistic

Into The Word Wednesdays




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.