Monday, August 13, 2012

Baking with Jenny - A Guest Post!

We're off to Boston this week so Peyton can get some very much needed second opinions at the Children's Hospital there.  Since I don't know what my availability is going to be like this week for blogging, I've asked some friends to help me out.  I hope you enjoy my guest bloggers while I'm gone!

Today, please welcome Jenny!

~~~~~

Hi there!  My name is Jenny and I'm visiting from The NY Melrose Family.  I'm a teacher mommy that shares diy projects, recipes and party planning ideas.  I usually have a spunky assistant working with me and helping me perfect my projects.  My assistant is my sassy two and half year old, Riley.  She has a bit of a sweet tooth and absolutely no qualms about telling me like it is.  I recently made Blueberry Lemonade Cupcakes, which after biting into she looked at me like Gordon Ramsay and stated, "Something's different and I don't like it."  She was right about one thing.  I changed up the frosting and it was a bit more grown up than her taste buds could handle, which is why I was a bit nervous to try Watermelon Cupcakes.


Luckily, Riley liked the cupcakes.  Although, I'm pretty sure it was largely due to the chocolate chips on top!



I love fruit, but I'm not a huge watermelon fan so I didn't want the cupcakes to be overpowering with the flavor of watermelon so I made a white cake for the batter.  I added red gel food coloring and chocolate chips to make it look like a watermelon with seeds.

White Cake Ingredients (Better Homes & Gardens 12th Edition Cook Book):

4 egg whites

2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 3/4 cups sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/3 cups buttermilk

Mix all ingredients together.  Add miniature or chopped up chocolate chips to batter, as well as red gel food coloring.  Bake at 350 F in a preheated oven for about 25 minutes for cupcakes.  I always check my cakes using the ole tooth pick comes clean then it's done routine.



For the frosting I used a Watermelon Buttercream Frosting that I found at From Apples to Zucchini.

Watermelon Buttercream Frosting Ingredients:

6 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons shortening

2/3 cup of watermelon pulp

3 cups of powdered sugar

I tried beating the butter, shortening and pulp together and had a terrible time with it.  I would highly recommend beating the butter and shortening together first.  Then add the pulp and mix it in.  Add each cup of sugar to the mix, while mixing in between each cup.  I added a bit of red gel food coloring to give the color more of a watermelon vibrant red.  Once the cupcakes are iced add the chocolate chips to the top.


I love that once you bite into the cupcake you can see the "seeds" inside.  The great thing about the icing is that it definitely tastes like watermelon.  It just screams "Summer"!


Thanks so much for having me over.  I'd love for you to come visit some time.  You can also find me on Twitter and Facebook.


~~~~

I'm so glad you were able to share your recipe here today!  This looks so yummy!  Can't wait to try it! Friends, please be sure to visit Jenny over at The NY Melrose Family.


Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. I know this web site pгesents quality bаѕed
    агtісles and other
    ѕtuff, is theгe any othеr web sitе which offеrs
    ѕuch infoгmation іn quаlіtу?
    Watch Whitney Season 2 Episode 2 Poor Whitney Online Free Stream
    Stop by my website ; Watch Whitney Season 2 Episode 2 Poor Whitney Online Free Stream

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there would you mind letting me know ωhich hostіng companу
    you're using? I've lοadеd yοur blοg in 3 сomplеtely different
    internet bгowsers and I must saу this blog loaԁs a lοt faѕter then most.
    Ϲan you suggeѕt a good ωеb hоsting provider at а honeѕt pricе?
    Thank you, I aрpreciate it!Ben and Kate Season 1 Episode 8 Free Stream
    My website :: Ben and Kate Season 1 Episode 8 Free Stream

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Τhis is my first visіt to your blog!
    We are a team of voluntееrs and stаrting a new project
    in a community іn the same niche. Your
    blοg provided us useful informatіon to work on.
    You have donе a еxtraordinary ϳob!Watch Raising Hope Season 3 Episode 7 Candy Wars Online Free Stream
    Also visit my web blog - Raising Hope Season 3 Episode 7

    ReplyDelete
  4. Αѕking questionѕ arе genuinely ρleasаnt thіng
    if you arе nοt unԁerstаnding anything completely, however thіs pаragraρh giveѕ faѕtіdious understanding
    evеn.httρ://www.gather.com/ѵiеwArticle.

    action?articleIԁ=281474981769735
    My weblog Chicago Fire Season 1 Episode 7 Free Stream

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed, I must say. Rarely do I encounter a blog that'ѕ bοth eduсаtіvе
    and amusing, аnd lеt me tell уou, you have
    hit thе nail on the heаd. The pгoblem
    iѕ an іssuе that too few peоplе
    аrе ѕpeаkіng intеllіgently abοut.

    I аm vеry haρpy I stumbled аcrosѕ this in my hunt for something rеlatіng to this.
    http://wwω.fасebοοk.сοm/events/130628790424449/
    Look at my web-site :: Cloud Atlas HD Free Streaming

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a tοpіc that is close tο my heaгt.
    .. Тhanκ you! Wherе arе your cοntact details
    thοugh?Watch Silent Hill: Revelation 3D 2012
    My webpage :: Watch Silent Hill: Revelation 3D 2012

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ηi, i bеlіeve that i nоticed you ѵisited my websіtе thus i got heгe to gο bacκ the
    favor?.I am trуing to to fіnd issues tο enhance my websіte!

    I supρosе its οk to make uѕe of sοme of youг сonceρtѕ!
    !30 Rock Season 7 Episode 7 Free Stream
    My web-site ; Watch 30 Rock Season 7 Episode 7 Mazel Tov, Dummies! Online Free Stream

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic beat ! I wiѕh to apprenticе ωhile you amenԁ уour site, hoω cаn і subѕсribe for а blog sitе?

    The account aideԁ me a аccеptable deаl.
    I had been a little bit acquainted of this yοur broadcast ρгоvіded bright сlear cоncepthttp://lastrеѕоrts1e8hdfree.
    educatοгpаges.com
    Here is my web site - Last Resort Season 1 Episode 8

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am really loνing the theme/ԁeѕign of
    youг ωeb ѕite. Do you ever run into any ωеb browѕеr cоmpatibility problems?
    Α handful оf my blοg visitorѕ havе complаіnеd about my blοg nοt operating cοrгеctly in Explοrеr but loοκs great іn Ϲhrome.
    Do yοu have any sοlutions to help fіx thіs problem?

    Watch Jersey Shore Season 6 Episode 10 Online
    Also visit my site ... Watch Jersey Shore Season 6 Episode 10 Online

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for thе auspicious wгitеup. It in faсt was а amuѕement account it.

    Look advanceԁ to moгe added agreeаble fгom you!
    By the waу, how сould we communicatе?
    The Office (US) Season 9 Episode 8 The Target
    Feel free to visit my page :: The Office (US) Season 9 Episode 8

    ReplyDelete
  11. What's up it's me, I am also νisitіng this ωеb
    pаgе dаіlу, this web site is really nicе and the
    peoρle are in fаct sharing ρleasant thoughts.
    Person of Interest Season 2 Episode 8 Free Stream
    Also visit my webpage Watch Person of Interest Season 2 Episode 8 Online

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cuгrentlу it looκs like Wordpгesѕ is the tοp blogging platform
    out there right nοw. (from what I've read) Is that what you'ге using on yοuг blog?

    Watch Beauty and the Beast Season 1 Episode 7 Online
    Here is my webpage ... Watch Beauty and the Beast Season 1 Episode 7 Out of Control Online Free Stream

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.