Monday, August 20, 2012

August 2012 Birchbox - A Review

My August Birchbox arrived while we were in Boston!  I was secretly wishing it would arrive early so I could do my review before our trip, but that didn't happen, so I am just getting around to it now!  This month I was greeted by yellow Birchbox box.




In honor of people returning to school this month, the theme Birchbox went with was "Beauty School".  



The usual card with the details on the contents of the box was a little different this month.  It was a folded booklet which contains all kinds of information on beauty tips and tools.  I thought that was pretty neat.






The back side of this fold out card had the "Supply Kit" {aka the contents of the box}.  In keeping with the theme of this month's box, Birchbox is equipping the consumers with several "must haves" for their beauty supply kit.  I think they did a great job again this month.

Here's what was revealed when I peeled away the hot pink tissue paper wrapping the box contents:





Here is what the info card said about the products:









First we have the Caldrea Hand Soap.  It comes in a variety of scents.  I received the Ginger Pomelo scented soap.  I thought the scent was pretty nice.  And the full-size packaging is also nice - fancier than those grocery store hand soaps we normally buy for our bathrooms!  If you want something a little nicer for your master bath or for a guest bath, I think this would be a nice option.

Rating: A+ {would definitely buy}
Full Price: $10.50 {10.8 oz}

Next up is Juicy Couture's Viva La Juicy La Fleur perfume.  The scent is very nice.  It isn't overpowering.  If I had a line item in my budget for perfume, I might consider buying it.  Sadly, I do not.

Rating: A {would buy it if it weren't so expensive}
Full Price: $70.00 {2.5 oz}

Next is a Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner.  Last month I received a Stila Lip Glaze, which I absolutely loved.  I haven't bought a full-sized glaze yet, but it's on my wish list.  I definitely want to buy it.  So I was super excited to see a Stila eye liner in my box.  It looks to be full-sized itself, so that's an added bonus too!  This comes in a variety of shades - mine is "oscar fish".  I really like it a lot.  It goes on nicely.  I think I will add this eye liner to my wish list as well even if it is a littler pricier than I'd normally spend on eye liner.

Rating: A+ {would definitely buy}
Full Price: $20.00

The last item on the card is the Yu-Be Moisturizing Skin Cream.  Straight from the Birchbox site: "Professional Japanese mountain climbers use this all-over moisturizer to keep their skin protected when they’re scaling Mount Everest, so you know there must be something special about it."  I tried this and I like it!  I am always on the lookout for a really good moisturizing cream.  This one can also be used on lips!  Another great item in the box!!

Rating: A+ {would definitely buy}
Full Price: $16.00 {1.25 oz}

As an added bonus, Birchbox threw in a Schick Hydro Silk Razor.  It's a full-size razor {I can't even imagine there being a "sample" size razor!}.  This is something I'm actually in need of, so it came at a great time!  I'm excited about this too.  Now, I'm not going to buy this from Birchbox, but I'll give it an A+ anyway.

Rating: A+ {would definitely buy...but not from Birchbox!}
Full Price: $9.99

I have to say I am really impressed with my Birchbox this month.  Not a bad item in the box.  The only reason I wouldn't buy the perfume is because of the cost {and because I don't make that a priority purchase item in my life!}, but really, Birchbox did a great job on this box!!


If you are interested in Birchbox, it's $10 a month for the subscription.  You earn 10 points for every $10 spent.  When you've spent $100, you earn $10 to use in their shop!  You can earn points shopping in their shop as well.  Also, you can earn points by referring friends! A couple months I used 300 of my points to buy Ahava Mineral Body Lotion.  It was free.  I love this lotion anyway, so I knew I'd love a free one!  As it stands right now, I have 140 points which translates to a current credit of $10 on my account for product purchases!  I'm saving up for something good!

If you are interested in subscribing for yourself, click HERE to receive more information!


If you already subscribe to Birchbox, what was in your box this month??


{note: the opinions in this post are strictly my own and I have in no way been compensated for this review}

Previous reviews:
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.