Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Into The Word Wednesdays - v. 2

Welcome to week two of Into the Word Wednesdays!

What is Into the Word Wednesdays?

Each Wednesday, we will host his link up where we can all come together and share what we are learning each week in our scripture study.  We don't have to be on the same plan.  We don't have to be on a plan at all!  Just be reading something from the Bible throughout the week and then come link up here!

It's also a "hop", so it's a great opportunity to connect and follow other Christians who are excited about sharing their faith journey!

Source
This past week I have been struggling.  There is so much stress in my life right now with our home nursing situation for Peyton, which has been in a state of flux for the past month or so.  Nurses leaving, nurses coming, nurses with annoying habits, nurse who are great...but...

I have been internalizing a lot of emotions over the whole nursing thing.  And about other things.  I've also been not internalizing things.  Complaining.  Boy, am I entitled to complain, right??

Actually, no.

Philippians 2:14 is clear - "Do everything without grumbling or arguing..."

Not some things.  EVERYTHING.

Have I ever failed on that this week.  I know I'm not alone here.  We feel a sense of entitlement; that we are owed something because we find ourselves in difficult circumstances.  We think, if only this one thing would just go right.  We legitimize our complaining as our reward for putting up with certain challenges sometimes, don't we?  We think it's okay to complain in this circumstance because we feel we've been cheated, so we're due our fair share of complaints.  It's such an easy trap to fall into.

I haven't actually been reading Philippians this week; however, that verse does illustrate my point.  The Bible is the Word of God which is the authority - we are not to complain.  But I don't think it means we're just supposed to take it lying down either.  Throughout my year-long reading plan so far, one of the daily readings has been from Psalms.  Psalm 145 was in my readings this past week.  It really gave me pause to ponder when I read it in light of my current circumstances.  You can read Psalm 145 here.

In verse 9, the psalmist says - "The Lord is good to all; he has compassion on all he has made."  There are hurting people all over the place.  He has compassion on us all.  He is good and He is compassionate.  He loves us - in whatever circumstances we find ourselves facing.  He loves us.  I am pretty sure He doesn't want us to be hurting and suffering and feeling stressed because of our circumstances.

The enemy is looking for a place to get a foothold and we become stressed and overwhelmed and we aren't handling things as well as we ought to, we give him that opportunity.  It doesn't take much before he has a firm grip on the entire situation...and then some.  Don't you find that sometimes what starts out as being stressed about one thing winds up snowballing and you wind up being stressed about many things?

It is so hard to remember this, but we have to look UP when we find ourselves in these situations.  I am a living example of what happens when you forget!  I have had a really bad headache this week.  It has felt like someone has been stabbing me behind my eye, from the inside out.  I can make a "C" with my hand and place it next to my eye and that's where it hurts.  I mentioned it to my husband and he asked if it hurt here, as he gripped the flesh between my neck and shoulder.  I cried out in pain.  That muscle is like a steel rod from my shoulder all the way across and up my neck, all the way to my head.  If I pressed around in other areas, I'm sure I'd encounter similar areas of extreme pain.  I'm not going to do that because I already know what I'd find.

All that physical stuff...that's all stress..that's all me.

Why?

Because I have not been doing a very good job of looking UP towards God for help through my situation.  I'm weary and exhausted {yes, I believe you can be both!}.  I should be running to Him as my source of strength.  I am angry and getting really down on myself.  I should be turning to Him as my comfort and shield.  I am grumbling in the anger I feel over this situation.  I should be giving praise to Him for all He has done for us.  I should be praising Him for all He is doing for us.  I should be looking back at my past history and taking stock of all of the times when He has come through for me with blessing upon blessing, grace upon grace, and instead I am grumbling in bitterness about what is not happening right now.

As it says in the scripture print at the top of this post "The Lord is trustworthy in all he promises and faithful in all he does." {verse 13} He is trustworthy.  If God makes a promise, you can take it to the bank.  How many times must I remind myself of this fact?  I should just know it, right?  Going forward through the current trial I am in, I am going to try much harder.  I am going to pray much harder.  I am going to seek Him.  There really is no real comfort in complaining.  It might feel like you've accomplished something at the time - you got it off your chest after all.  But in the end, there's not much at all to be gained by doing this.  Nothing in fact.  It doesn't help your situation and it doesn't really make you feel better in the long run.

Trust.  In.  God.

*****

I would LOVE it if you linked up with a post about what God is showing you in the Word, or in your life. Please also stop by and see what God has been teaching my beautiful co-hosts this week: 

Falen at Upward Not Inward 
Kelly at Exceptionalistic
Sarah at Fontenot Four {you're already here!}

Into The Word Wednesdays
Into the Word Wednesday Blog Hop Rules:
1. Write a post about what God is teaching you this week.
2.  Follow the host and hostess. 
3. Grab a button to put on your blog - the more the merrier!
4. Check out (and comment) other people's blogs and be blessed by all the sisters and brothers around the world!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.