Friday, June 1, 2012

Flashback: 1984

Some awesome bloggers are starting an awesome monthly link up today.  It's called "A Look Back" and it is hosted by Shaping Up To Be A Mom, Houtz House Party, Absolute Mommy, and Covered In Grace.  You can read all about this linky party here.  It's all about flashbacks to many years ago, starting with....







Some facts about me in 1984:

Age: I turned 12 on November 19th
Where you lived: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada {that's pronounced "Soo Saint Marie"}
Favorite activities/pastimes: Girl Guides {that's Canadian Girl Scouts, eh?!}, Pathfinders {the next step after Girl Guides}, skiing, playing the organ {dare I admit that?}, and taking Scottish Highland dance lessons
Vacations taken: mostly to visit relatives in Southern Ontario
Best friend(s): Heidi
Favorite book: I was probably loving choose your own adventure books or something like that
Favorite movie: Gremlins, Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Favorite tv show: Who's The Boss?, Three's Company
Favorite place to be: Not at school
Favorite outfit/Fashion trends: Apparently knee highs were the cat's meow!!
Did you have any "firsts" this year?: First time I competed in a Highland Games
What did you do for your birthday or a special holiday?: I honestly cannot remember.

Now that you have the skinny on 1984, take a look at my year in photos!!

Newspaper evidence of the year in question:
{Yes, I had this actual newspaper clipping in my photo album!}



Part of the Girl Guide experience was having a winter campout.  Yes, in the snow.  We made our own "quincy" to sleep in {think igloo} - and we did actually sleep in it!

This was carried with me throughout my Guiding career:

Pathfinders is the next level after Girl Guides.  Here I am after having become a Pathfinder!


Where were you when Cabbage Patch Kids were all the rage in the mid-80s??
Did you have one??
Mine was the last one off the truck in the shipment at the store that day.

I was apparently awesome in French class.


In the summer, our family vacationed to Southern Ontario to visit some relatives.
Here we are {my sister and I - I'm on the left} at the floral clock in Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario.
If you think these knee-highs are awesome, just you wait!!








Apparently it's a really cool idea to bring your children to a liquor distillery.
Here we are at the Seagram's museum in Waterloo, Ontario.
{Note, I'm not a high-waisted person...so why I have my shorts pulled up to my armpits is beyond me!!  And I am so rockin' the home perm!!  Thanks mom!}

A new baby cousin was born and her family came up to visit.  This is me holding her {she's now proudly serving in the U.S. Navy out of San Diego, CA} and that's my Great Grandma {she passed away a couple years later the day the first space shuttle exploded}.
{Again with the socks...seriously?!?!  And I was SO anal about making sure they were pulled up all. the. way.!!}

Right here you have four generations of awesome!!
{That's my uncle - my dad's little brother; Grandma, sister, cousin, me, Great Grandma, and dad}
{In 1984, my dad was a couple years younger than I am right now!!}

That summer, my sister and I competed in the Fergus Highland Games in Fergus, Ontario.

In September, the pope made a visit to Canada.  My mom, sister and I traveled to southern Ontario {again} to see him.  Yep, I still have my ticket {or commemorative piece of paper is more like it!}

I had the perfect shot before some guy stepped in my way.
{And by shot, I mean camera!}

My mother's parents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.  A huge "do" was planned for them, beginning with a Catholic mass and renewal of vows.  The ceremony was on November 10th, although their actual anniversary was November 5th.


Check out the family ride...
an awesome green Ford Granada, complete with vinyl seats.
{For whatever reason, to this day I still know the license plate number was LVL 138.}

 Did I mention I got glasses in 1984??
This is my class picture that year.
These glasses are Legen --- wait for it ---Dary!!!
How cool was I???

So there you have a year in the life of ME...1984-style!
I hope you enjoyed this pictorial historical post!

Shaping Up To Be A Mom


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.