Monday, May 28, 2012

May 2012 Birchbox - A Review

As I mentioned in a previous post, I received my May Birchbox earlier this month.  It was supposed to be inspired by the show  "Gossip Girl", a show which I know absolutely nothing about.  While I cannot comment on how well the box fits with that theme, I can give you a review of the products I received!


Here is a picture of the contents of my Birchbox:



As a reminder, here is the card that was inside my Birchbox.  It describes everything inside and it also gives the cost if you were to purchase the full-size product.  Remember, what you get in your Birchbox is a sample size only!



For the second month in a row, my Bircbox contained products whose brands I had never heard of.  Regardless, I was still anxious to sample them!

The first item I tried was the Algenist Complete Eye Renewal Balm.  I was probably most excited about this product.  I haven't used it every day, but most days since I tried it.  I have to say I like it, but honestly I don't know how well it actually works.  Maybe I'm just too tough a case for it to handle.  I don't see an obvious change in appearance.  I think it would take more than this hefty $65 price tag to do something about the circles under my eyes at this point anyway.  That said, if I suddenly came into some money that I could only spend frivolously, I might consider purchasing this.

Rating: B+ {like it but may or may not buy}
Full Price: $65

The next thing I tried was the Dr. Jart+ Water Fuse BB {Beauty Balm} Cream. I loved it.  In fact, I have been trying to squeeze out every last drop out of the tiny little sample bottle I got.  I will be buying this! Soon I hope!

Rating: A+ {would definitely buy}
Full Price: $32

Then I tried the Ojon Volume Advance Volumizing Shampoo.  I seriously loved the scent of this shampoo.  I also loved how it worked.  But, it's a pretty steep price to pay for a full-sized bottle, so I doubt I will be buying it anytime soon.  I will take more samples though!!

Rating: A {would buy it if it weren't so expensive}
Full Price: $22

Then there's the Color Club Nail Polish in Disco Nap.  I haven't brought myself to try it on.  It's just not my shade.  Maybe come Halloween I'll give it a go.  If it were a better shade, this would have been great.  If it were a better shade, I would say that I'd spend that amount on the full-size product.  But it's not.
Rating: B- {product was ok but definitely not buying}
Full Price: $8

Last item on the list is the "Birchbox Extra".  This month I received a little notecard which can be purchased as a set of 12 for $10.  The notecard was cute and I'm sure I'll eventually find a use for it.  However, if I'm being honest, I'm spending $10 on a Birchbox in the hopes of getting beauty products, not stationery.

Rating: B- {product was ok but definitely not buying}
Full Price: $10

Ok, so I wasn't in love with every product in the box, but I did really like a few of them.  To me, the box was a winner.  I've seen some other reviews where the recipient just wasn't happy at all with their box.  It's kind of a crap shoot - what you get isn't always going to be exactly what you had hoped it would be. I'm still on board for June.  Can't wait to see what's in store next time around!

If you are interested in Birchbox, it's $10 a month for the subscription.  You earn 10 points for every $10 spent.  When you've spent $100, you earn $10 to use in their shop!  You can earn points shopping in their shop as well.  Also, you can earn points by referring friends!  I have already accumulated 220 points in the two months I've been part of this program {and I have not yet purchased a full-sized product!}, so I already have $20 waiting for me!!  {Recall that last month my box included an expired product, so Birchbox awarded my account 100 points.}

Click HERE if you'd like more information!

If you already subscribe to Birchbox, what was in your box this month??


{note: the opinions in this post are strictly my own and i have in no way been compensated for this review}
Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.