Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Thankfulness: A Guest Post

Hi! I am Julie, and I blog over at Back to the Basics. I am a wife and stay at home mom, and wouldn't have it any other way! I am guest posting today about thankfulness. It's a heavy, heavy topic, yes? But sometimes I need a reminder to be thankful for the blessings in my life.




Source: imgspark.com via Sarah on Pinterest

There are days where I am just NOT thankful. I am upset because my husband is late for the third day in a row, Brayden won't listen to a single word I have said, and Kenley is just upset and I haven't been able to figure out why. The dishes are piling, the laundry is piling, the house seems like a disaster and although I should be thankful that I have those things, I can't get over myself long enough to realize it. Those are the days that I need to be MORE thankful. Thankful that I HAVE a husband coming home and that I am blessed with two children. Thankful that we have food and dishes and clothing. It all comes down to perspective.

I think that perspective and thankfulness go hand in hand. You can't truly be thankful for something if you can't see what that something is or what impact it has on your life. And when those little things you start taking for granted disappear? Then you can see the true worth of them. Something small as the power going out makes me really thankful that eventually it WILL come back on, even though at the moment, it is a total inconvenience. There are people living with way worse conditions, so I really try not to complain.

All about perspective.

Every night when I pray before bed, I try to thank God for at least ONE thing, and I try to make it different each day. It really helps me concentrate on what is REALLY around me and all that I have to be thankful for. When I am feeling particularly defeated, I write a list of 5 things in that moment that I am thankful for. It helps take the bad mood out and serves as a reminder that I have much to be thankful for.

What are YOU thankful for today?

Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 
1 Thessalonians 5:18


*****


Thank you so much, Julie, for sharing such a beautiful message on thankfulness today!  I appreciate you taking the time to share on my blog!!


Friends, please be sure to head over to Julie's blog to say hi!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.