Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My First Birchbox - April 2012

If you follow a lot of bloggers or people on twitter, maybe you've come across some ladies talking about Birchbox.  I heard about this company a while back.  They are an online shop which sells beauty and grooming products.  What's really cool about them is that they offer a $10 a month subscription program.  Here's what they have to say about that on their website:

Birchbox is the best way to discover new grooming, beauty and lifestyle products. Sample top products from high-end brands, get expert advice, buy new favorites and earn points with every purchase.

So, for $10 {free shipping}, Birchbox will send out a nice little box like this:


Inside this bright pink box, another box awaits!

Each month has a theme.  The products you receive are random - you do not know what you will be getting in advance of your monthly subscription's arrival in your mailbox. April's theme was "Natural Wonders".  When I opened up my box, this is exactly what I found:


The front of the card explains the theme.  In this case, it talks about the "skincare packed with nourishing natural ingredients).  In my Birchbox, there were four main products and then a "Lifestyle Extra".

The reverse of the card describes each of the products.  It also gives you the list price for the full sized product which is available in their store!  What you receive in your $10 box are samples of the high-end products.  I thought, hey, it's $10 and you're getting high-end stuff - why not give it a shot!

Here is the description of what I received:





Have I head of any of these products before?  No.
Am I willing to try these products?  Absolutely!

I'm excited to try the Amika Obliphica Nourishing Mask.  At $40 for the full sized product, I'm hoping that this is good!  It claims to be an "Intense conditioning and repair. For all hair types."  My hair is rather neglected, so we'll see what this does!

I am also excited to try the Befine Skincare Sampler.  It consists of the Gentle Cleanser and Moisturizer.  Each product sells individually for $24 for the full size bottle.  I'm always looking for a really good cleanser and moisturizer, so we'll see how this works for me!

The next product I'm excited about is the Dirt Luxe Salt Scrub in Lemon Leaf.  Do you know that I have  never tried a salt scrub??  I'm pretty excited about trying this.  It's a pretty small sample at 0.05 oz {15 ml}, so I'm not sure if a little goes a long way, or if this is enough to do my arms or whole body.  To be honest, I could probably use some pointers - what does one do with a salt scrub??  Can you tell I don't pamper myself nearly as often as I should?  If it's good, I may just save up some money for the $45 full sized product.  But that would have to be for a pretty special occasion!

I was a little nervous when I saw the Vapour Organic Beauty Siren Lipstick.  I see the word "siren" and I'm thinking fire engine red.  I'm thinking there is no way this is going to be good.  As it happens, it is actually a shade that would suit my coloring!  So maybe Birchbox does tailor the boxes to your personal profile!  Full size is $22.  A bit steep for my tastes, but since I don't wear lipstick a whole lot, this sample should last a while!

Lastly, Birchbox threw in a "Lifestyle Extra" which was two Le Palais des Thes Tea Bags.  There was The du Hammam tea bag and one The des Alizes tea bag.  The retail on these is $12.50 for a box of 20 tea bags.  Again, a bit steep.  I'd be curious to see what other flavors they have.  Both of these teas are green teas.  Can't say I'm a big fan, but I'm willing to try.

So, at the end of the day, I'm pretty pleased with the products I received, though I've yet to try them.  I will have to post an update later once I've given them all a test run and let you know how it went!

If you are interested in Birchbox {and who isn't by now??}, it's $10 a month for the subscription.  You earn 10 points for every $10 spent.  When you've spent $100, you earn $10 to use in their shop!  You can earn points shopping in their shop as well.  Also, you can earn points by referring friends!

Click HERE if you'd like more information!

If you already subscribe to Birchbox, what was in your box this month??
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.