Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Traveler's Guide: The Unicorn Tax


I know what you're thinking..."traveler's guide"???  That's so not something we generally see here on The Fontenot Four.  You're right.  The purpose of this blog is to hopefully encourage and uplift people.  But I like to mix in a little lighter subject matter every now and then.  Since I enjoy helping others, I thought I would do everyone a service here all at one time and dispell the mystery of The Unicorn Tax.

If you're a seasoned traveler, you've seen it all - city taxes, county taxes, state taxes, arena taxes, PST, GST, VAT....the list goes on.  Some places make you pay a tax at the airport just to leave the country!  But one day, you're overseas finishing up your meal in a fine dining establishment.  The waiter brings the folder to the table.  You examine the bill to ensure everything is correct.  The inner-accountant in you tries to calculate an appropriate tip, when all of a sudden, just before the grand total, this pops out at you:

UNICORN TAX











Source: google.com via Sarah on Pinterest

What in the world???

Well, friends, that is where I come in today.  I am not an accountant, nor do I play one on tv.  But before you wind up in an argument with your server or the restaurant manager, let me be the first to clarify what this is.  It's a mess to actually calculate, but in the simplest of terms, the unicorn tax is a tax on items which are not otherwise taxable.  It is calculated at one tenth of 80% of what the combined taxes would have been if they were, in fact, taxable.

Why this tax exists, I do not know.  But I am so glad that I could share this with you today.

In other news....

WHAT THE HECK WAS I ON LAST NIGHT BEFORE BED???

I tell you what...
I have had some crazy weird dreams in my life,
but none left me busting out laughing in the shower quite like this one did this morning.
In my dream, I spent a considerable amount of time with a girl from church trying with all my might to explain exactly what the unicorn tax was that was on her hotel dining room bill.

It was so real it actually made sense.

Friends, I KNOW I am not the only one out there who has bizarro dreams.
Tell me some of yours so I don't feel so alone!!

If you're looking for encouragement today, and this doesn't quite cut it, you will find me writing over at Embrace Your Life today.  I promise my post over there does not in any way involve mythical creatures!

Happy Tuesday!


Source: toptenz.net via Sarah on Pinterest

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.