Monday, March 5, 2012

Intentional Relationship With God

Friends, I want to introduce you to one of my IRL friends today!!
I'm so excited!!
Gretchen has recently begun blogging over at
about her faith journey as well as her journey of recovery from addiction.
Gretchen is one of the sweetest ladies you'll meet.
She has a contagious personality - 
you cannot help but be excited about the Lord after talking with her for a bit!
I asked Gretchen if she would like to guest post here on being intentional.
She agreed.
Here she is talking about being intentional in your relationship with God!

*****

Being intentional is such a hot phrase right now. Be intentional with your parenting, your time, your money, your relationships, and the list goes on and on. Is this a fad like "Wazzzzzzzup?" or "Groovy" or is this the beginning of a new ideology within the community?

What does it even mean to be intentional? Well folks, it means to be deliberate, done on purpose, and intended. I don't know about you but one of my assets is being incredibly stubborn. If you're on the receiving end of my bull-headedness you might find my willfulness a character flaw but I'll tell you what, I certainly have strength in my convictions. There are certain facts that I know to be true:

1. There is a God who loves me so much that he sent his son to die for me so I may have everlasting life.

2.  I know him personally.

3. There are 24 hours in a day.

4. My children are the smartest children to ever walk the earth.

5. Only 4% of the entire world are natural redheads and I am part of that special club.

6. I have many great qualities but humility is my best one. (heeheehee...get it?)

So why does this matter? Why should you care about my convictions? Because if you are going to live an intentional life there are certain things you need to do.

You see, the God whom I know personally wants to know me personally too.  He wants to spend time with me.  He doesn't want to be an afterthought or someone I squeeze in when I have free time. He wants to have relationship with me.  How can you really get to know someone, lean on someone, and trust someone if you don't spend any time with them? If you only go to God with requests, as if he is some Santa-Jesus in the sky you will never know the true joy that comes through a relationship with him. God doesn't just want you to have a life...he wants you to have an abundant life.

This brings me to the heart of the issue. To truly know the Lord you must be intentional about your time. All of us lead busy lives full of jobs, housework, kids sports, music lessons and the like. I hear you saying, "I just can't fit Jesus into my schedule." Really?

Here's a great analogy I heard on the radio the other day. Imagine your favorite celebrity. The one living person you would just love to meet. Let's say it's George Clooney, cuz you know you're digging him. Unless you're a man then maybe it's Angelina Jolie...or George Clooney...no judgement. I digress. Pretend that George calls you on the phone and says, "Hey. Wanna hang out with me today?" I bet you dollars to donuts you would absolutely, positively find a way to clear your schedule and hang with Gorgeous George.

Guess what? Jesus says to you each and every morning, "Hey. Wanna hang?" I picture him sitting on the sofa, relaxed and peaceful. When he sees me his face lights up with excitement. He pats the sofa seat next to him and chuckles when I jump right up, sit criss-cross-applesauce and prepare to chill out with my Lord. We talk. He shows me parts of His Word that I need to get through my day and elevate others. I tell Him about my struggles. I praise Him for who He is. I listen as He whispers His plan for me. Sometimes I sing Him a song and He enjoys it as if I'm His favorite child and you know what? I am His favorite and so are you. Gods love is so big. So broad. So exponential. We can't even begin to grasp just how great His love is but He wants to show us. He says, "Be still and know that I am God." I am still. I am still. I am still. And I know that He is God.

God probably won't send you an email with your schedule for the day. There won't be a text message saying "Had a gr8 time 2day. See u soon." I wouldn't expect any snail-mail from Him either. Here's what can happen though...if you are intentional about your time God, will meet with you. Just like we tithe our money we also are to tithe our time. Think about it...at least 10% of our time should be spent with Him daily. This shouldn't be a chore. I don't want to hear you say, (sighing) "I guess I have to go have my quiet time with the Lord now." Shouldn't we be excited? We have a living God who wants to be our friend. How freaking cool is that? Seriously, that is way past awesome. 

So why don't you try giving God your first and foremost of your time? Don't go to Him as an afterthought after you've done everything in your measly human power. Wake up in the morning and commit to spending time with Him. Picture Him happy to see you. Maybe he gives you a fist bump. Maybe you need a hug. He can do that too. Get instructions for the day by reading His word. He will reveal to you what you need to know. And then, be still. Listen for His still small voice speaking to your heart. Feel His love. Know that God's promises are true. What is impossible with man is possible with Him. He can do immeasurably more than we can even hope or imagine. Be intentional about this relationship. Be deliberate. Dig in your heels and open your hearts.

If you are intentional about your time with God all those other things will fall into place. He has unimaginable plans for you. The dishes will get done. The laundry will eventually be put away. The kids will finish their homework. When I meet Jesus face to face in heaven I want Him to tell me how much He loved spending time with me and not that I had a really clean house. When you see Jesus face to face what will he say to you?


*****

Thank you SO much, Gretchen, for such an amazing post.
{and I'm happy to be in the 4% with you!!}
I just love your heart and thank you so much for sharing with us all here today!
Please, friends, take a moment to visit Gretchen's blog and follow her.
You will be truly blessed by her writing!
Photobucket

1 comment:

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.