Monday, January 9, 2012

A Daniel Fast Breakfast - Steel Cut Oats


I did some digging around for a steel cut oats recipe that would be "Daniel Fast worthy".  I found some recipes, but ultimately took the basic ideas and turned it into my own recipe!

I will say this - I had never had steel cut oats before, so wasn't aware of the texture difference between this and regular oatmeal.  Also, since the fast doesn't allow for sweeteners, it is a little bland.  If you are familiar with fasting, I would love it if you could add some comments about how you would sweeten up this little recipe.  Also, this recipe calls for the oats to soak overnight, so if you want to make this now, you might as well wait to put it together tonight so you can cook it for tomorrow morning!  All in all, it is good and worth trying - or modifying to suit your tastes!

Start off with these ingredients: organic steel cut oats, soy milk, 2 bananas, 1 apple, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.


































In a bowl, combine 1 cup of organic steel cut oats.
 1 3/4 cups of soy milk
 In a separate bowl, mash 2 bananas.
Add 3/4 tsp cinnamon, 3/8 tsp nutmeg, and a pinch of sat.  I also added an extra 1/8 tsp of apple pie spice.
 Add the banana mixture to the oats and soy milk.
Blend thoroughly.
Seal the bowl and place in refrigerator overnight.
 In the morning, put the mixture into a medium saucepan.
Bring to a boil and then let it simmer for 5 minutes.
You may need or want to add more soy milk {I did}.
 Peel, core and chop one apple.
Add to the mixture.  Stir together.
 Finished!
Serve and enjoy!
{makes about 4 servings} 


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.