Sunday, January 15, 2012

Daniel Fast 2012 - End of Week One

As I shared with you, I am involved in a 21 day fast with my church.
Week one is over.

We are allowed {if we choose} to break the fast on Sundays {until sundown on Sunday}.
Ron and I didn't know about this last year and we pushed on through the 21 days doing the Daniel Fast, which is pretty strict about what can and cannot be consumed.
This year we decided that we would partake in the Sunday breaking from the fast.
It's not an opportunity {in my opinion} to just sit back and gorge ourselves on the foods we've "deprived" ourselves of in the past week.  Not at all.
Honestly, I think today I could have gone either way.  That said, as I hadn't had caffeine in a week, I was really looking forward to some hot tea this morning as it has been a bit chilly lately {for South Carolina anyway}.

We we able to go out to lunch and have a nice family meal out - our only one this week - and the only one we'll have for another week.
Today we enjoyed some awesome pizza from Brixx.

I left home {Canada} in late January 1998 to move to Houston, TX.  All the way until August 2008 when we moved to Charleston, SC, I swore up and down that my hometown in Canada had the world's best pizza.  I would have taken that to my grave that it was the best.  I mean, it was the best.  It was one of the things I looked forward to having every time I got to go back home.
Then we moved to Charleston...
Home of Brixx.  Home of Orlando's.  Home of Mellow Mushroom.  Home of Guiseppi's.
{ok, so a couple of these are in other locations...but they were new to us here}
I am sorry, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario...
but I no longer crave your luscious pizza like I used to.  Mrs. B's...you're awesome in you're own way.  Aurora's is long gone but was fabulous in it's day.
Houston...home of chain pizza places...well, we won't go there.  In the pizza world, you wouldn't even make it to a top 10 list...or top anything list.  Chain pizza is not real pizza.

And then there was Charleston.
So many local places.  So many places that were new to us.
The pizza {non-chain, that is} is wood fired.
Oh.  My.  Goodness.
So, for me, Brixx {and the other restaurants I've mentioned} are little slices of heaven on earth.

As sundown will be approaching in the next couple of hours, I'm going to be enjoying my leftovers fairly soon.

But I digress.

The fast.
It's not about what I can have today that I haven't had for a week.
It's about opening my heart and my mind to what God is trying to speak to me during this time.

Each day I have been reading the daily devotional from the book Awakening by Pastor Stovall Weems.  There is a reflection, an optional scripture to read {which I do}, and a selection of readings from the book itself {which I also do}.  I have also opted to do a "21 Day Fast" reading plan on YouVersion.

I am trying to pray more and focus more on what God is trying to speak to me.
It's interesting, because what I keep being directed to just happens to be the theme of our current series at church:



Source: seacoast.org via Sarah on Pinterest

EPHESIANS 3:20-21
"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever!  Amen."

What I have been learning this week - even without taking into account our church series - is God's faithfulness to me...to us.  All of us.  He can take what we have and do immeasurably more than we could imagine.  He is a God of multiplication.  When we give of ourselves, He multiplies it back to us.

What I am learning this week also goes well with my word for the year - endure.
God is asking me to be obedient to Him.  He is asking me to trust in His faithfulness and His love for me.  He is asking me to have confidence in Him so that I may endure the trials that will come my way.  I am asking for His strength, His mercy, and His grace that I might endure.

I have a lot to learn yet.  I have a lot of praying to do.  I need to get even more into His word.  I need to open myself more to Him.  I need to listen more so that I can hear His still small voice.

More.

I need to give more of myself so that He can fill that space I am creating for Him.
I need to enlarge that space so that He can fill me up.
I need to allow Him into that space and allow Him to fill me up.
I need to place God at the center of my life.  At the front of everything.

I'm on this "21 days to organization" kick right now.
It's been great...but I find myself being sidetracked by it and focusing on it when I could be putting my focus elsewhere.  I think I am going to let that take a backseat for the moment.  It's definitely something that I want to continue with, but I happened to start those 21 days at the same time as the 21 day fast.
While it was a good decision for our home, I think for purposes of getting a blog post out there, it is bad timing.  I'll get back to it...I promise.  I know it was motivating some of you!!
I just need to focus elsewhere for the next couple weeks.

I am praying this upcoming week for wisdom and guidance, among other things.
I need to give Him more space in my life in the upcoming two weeks of this fast.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.