Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Waiting

Yesterday I had to take Peyton downtown for two back to back doctor appointments {8:45 and 10:15}.  I wasn't excited {at all} about going, but it's part of life, so there you go!  I woke up extra early to make sure that I could get myself completely ready before having to deal with Peyton.  She normally wakes up around 6:30 or 7:00.  Her nurse was scheduled to arrive at 8:00 and we were going to have to leave immediately to make the first appointment on time.  I was going to have to drop Ron off at work on the way, which is not a big deal at all.  Traffic is heavier at that time.  The parking garage is busy at that time.  It takes extra time to load and unload and re-attach a few pieces of her wheelchair that had to be taken off to put in the back end of our vehicle.  But we could do it...if we left right at 8:00.

Peyton's nurse texted me about 15 minutes before I was expecting her to say it was bumper to bumper traffic and would be a few minutes late.  Truth be told, on top of that, either her boyfriend forgot to wake her up early or she forgot to tell him to.  Regardless, she was going to be running late, and I was frantically trying to get everything done from Peyton's first-thing-in-the-morning routine so we could leave on time.  This is all stuff she would have been doing herself if we had no outside appointments....and in a much less rushed fashion.  I had to cut a couple corners and leave a couple things undone because I was running out of time.  The nurse arrived 15 minutes late.  30 minutes to appointment time, with at least a 30 minute drive time/find a parking spot/unload chair, load up Peyton, etc.  Realistically, I needed the originally intended 45 minutes.  We were 18 minutes late checking in for the first appointment.  They allow 20 minutes or they make you reschedule.

So, I figured, this is our fault {well, the nurse's fault...and then horrible traffic all the way there}, so I fully expected to wait a few extra minutes before we were called back.  We waited and waited and waited.  Eventually, the medically assistant came to get us and Peyton went through their triage process {taking vitals and updating medical info for the computer system}.  After all that, they had no room.  Away we went back to the waiting room.  We waited.  And waited.  And waited.  Well, I had to tell them to call down to the other doctor's clinic to say we were still stuck up there and we weren't going to make the 10:15 appointment.  I was not thrilled.  The appointments were so nicely spaced that everything should have gone smoothly.  Should have.  But there we were.  Waiting.  And waiting.

Finally, we got called back to a room.  Guess what we did there?!?  If you said we waited, you would be absolutely correct.  We waited a while.  At 11:38, in came the medical student to assess Peyton.  11:38.  The appointment was at 8:45.  Then we saw the doctor.  Then we waited for the nurse who gave Peyton her flu shot.  Then we hauled it to the other clinic down a couple floors.  I went to registration, explained the situation and offered to reschedule.  The lady called the nurse who said the doctor would still see Peyton.  I fully expected a long wait.  I mean, this appointment was an hour and a half ago and it was getting close to lunch time!  We sat in the waiting area for, oh, maybe 2 minutes.  The nurse came and got us.  We bypassed their triage area because Peyton already went through that.  She took us to a room.  She did her assessment and left.  A minute or two later, the nurse practitioner came in and did her assessment and left.  Right on her heels, the doctor came in and did his assessment, gave us our check out papers and we left.  We were leaving there around noon.  All that time spent waiting on that first appointment, all the while holding up the second doctor.  And it was the second doctor who is the one who got us in and out in mere minutes!

All of this made me think.  A lot went wrong right from the very start of the day.  No, I wasn't thrilled, but it was what it was.  The waiting really stunk.  But we got everything taken care of that needed taken care of.  Isn't life like that sometimes?  We have issues come up in our lives that need to be taken care of in a timely manner, and things don't work out.  One thing after another, we come upon obstacles that keep us from what we are trying to focus on.  But if we persist - if we just wait it out - things have a way of working out sometimes.  And then, when we least expect it, something will happen that happens in a surprisingly fast way that you just really needed at that time.

We spent lots of time throughout our lives simply waiting.  What do we do during that waiting period?  I probably verbalized my frustration a time or two during those first couple hours.  I know I let out a "Thank GOD" or two once things finally got moving.  I know I was incredibly grateful for the speed with which the second appointment went through.  But in all that waiting time, what did I do?  And what could I have done better?  I recognize something immediately - sometimes the company you are with can drastically change how you act or react in a situation.  The nurse wasn't happy and she was getting frustrated.  This added to my internal frustration.  I should have used that time more wisely.  I should have spent that time working on my communication with God instead of my communication about our situation.

This is where it gets good - God allows us to have weak moments.  He allows us opportunities to fail.  In those moments of little personal failures, He allows us opportunities to learn and to grow.  I'm not angry at all about this morning.  I am thankful and grateful for having recognized my failures through the waiting period and to repent and to learn how I could have better spent my time.  I am grateful for a loving and forgiving God who allowed this opportunity to happen!

linking up:


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.