Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Hat Trick +1 = One Proud Mommy!

Moira played her 4th game of the Fall U8 soccer season yesterday.  It was a cool windy day, but a great day for playing!

I just have to say that Moira's team {the Sweet Kickers} has improved SO much this season.  There are 8 girls on the team, 5 of which were carry-overs from the Sweet Kickers from the Spring U8 season.  The Spring team was ok.  They only won two games all season, but they tried so hard.  In the last game of the season, everything finally clicked and they did amazingly well!  I had to think that any of the teams in the Fall league would also have improved, so I wasn't sure how the Sweet Kickers would fare this season.

Moira - Spring U8 season picture
{we just had Fall pictures taken last week}

The girls have really clicked as a team.  Their practices are really good and the coach is amazing with them.  He's really got a knack for coaching these kids.  I've seen the other coaches.  Some are really good.  A couple - well, lets just say I'm thankful for our coach.  Everything has come together so well for these girls this season.  They improve with each week that goes by.  I'm really impressed with them.  Their games, while they were fun to watch last season, are infinitely more exciting because they really playing their hearts out and playing well.

For yesterday's game, Moira was made team captain.  I'm sure it has something to do with how well she played in the last game and how she did at practice this past week.  That said, I'm sure there will be an opportunity for each of the girls to be captain.  Still, it is a nice honor for the girls to be captain.  This meant that Moira got to play right at the start of the game {with 8 girls on the team, if all are there, 4 have to sit out and be subbed in throughout the game}.  She also had her pick of whether she wanted to play offense or defense.  She chose defense.  She's a pretty good defender and enjoys that role.  Then at the end of the game, the captain leads the line when they high-five the other team.

Moira had an amazingly spectacular game!!  She was awesome!!  She was absolutely ON FIRE!!  The girls were all playing so well.  I'm sure other parents could say the same thing about their girls, but Moira was just amazing!  She really got in there and went after the ball the whole game.  She was running around everywhere.  In the past, she has had a tendency to hang back or watch the grass grow every now and then while the rest of the team does the work.  Ok, so it's not as bad as that sounded.  She plays and she's done well, but this game was outstanding.  

Our team won 8 to 2 or 3.  They don't keep track of scores at this level, but you know every parent is keeping a mental tally.  Moira scored FOUR of those goals herself!!  FOUR!!!  At the first quarter break, she'd already scored twice.  The coach asked her if she knew what a hat trick was.  No she didn't.  Well, that's scoring 3 goals in one game.  He didn't tell her to do it.  He didn't say anything but what it was.  Really, it was just planting the seed in her head.  That was great.  So, not only did she get the hat trick, but she went on to score a fourth goal!  

To say I am proud is an understatement.  I'm just so thankful for this moment in her life.  What a blessing!!

Here are some pictures from the game:

Moira scoring one of her four goals of the day

I was helping out on the side during the game ~
can you see how proud I am??

It's behind you, Moira!

Moira throwing in the ball

Moira chasing after the ball as she did so often
during this game

Can you say "determination"??

Another goal for my Moira!!!
 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (NIV)
The Need for Self-Discipline

 24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.


linking up with:


Miscellany Monday @
lowercase letters

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.