Saturday, October 29, 2011

Convicted or Condemned?

This weekend, I am participating in a huge blog link up:

Photobucket

This is meant as an opportunity to meet fellow bloggers and to help grow my own blog following.  Let me tell you, it's been wonderful so far.  I've been enjoying getting to know lots of new women through this link up!

If you are new to my blog, here's a bit about me!  I am a 38 year old wife to an amazing man.  I am the proud mommy of two little girls - Moira {7} and Peyton {5}.  Peyton has multiple special needs and is medically fragile.  I have learned so much from her, it's unbelievable!  She has caused me to become a woman who seeks to be a truly devoted follower of Christ.  She has caused me to become a believer.  I write a lot about my faith and about my journey of being a Christ-seeking woman.  I write a lot about what I see as the blessings in my life.  Peyton's life has had so many ups and downs - a LOT of downs.  I had to force myself to see the positive or be totally dragged down and swallowed up by the pain and sadness that has been a part of her life.  This blog is a place where I celebrate the blessings that have happened along the way.  I have seen that there really are so many blessings.

Thank you so much for stopping in and thank you if you have decided to stay and follow!  I'd love to return the favor.

And now...here's my scheduled post....

We had some great table discussion on Thursday at Sisterhood.  Some of the Bible verses which we were to pore over this past week were really challenging.  They had a lot to do with our actions.  How we follow paths that lead us into pits - over and over and over again.  The verses time and again talked about how we should humble ourselves before God, live righteously, and find life in Him.  Consider this verse from Proverbs:


Proverbs 22:3-5 (NLT)
3 A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions.
4 True humility and fear of the Lord
The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
lead to riches, honor, and long life.
5 Corrupt people walk a thorny, treacherous road;
whoever values life will avoid it.

This verse, and others, spoke a lot to me about how I should approach a challenging situation.  Ideally, I feel like these verses are challenging me to really put my faith out there - to put God first in everything.  Every decision, every action, every inaction.  I feel like, as Christians, we are being called to truly consider the consequences of our choices.  Look at the situation.  Take time to think.  Think about how your choices affect you, your family, friends, others around you.

But I think a lot of the time, we all fall into the same rut.  We don't think as clearly as we should.  We don't put God at the front of our thoughts, especially when considering how we behave.  Choices that we make and behaviors that we display become the norm.  We ultimately wind up not feeling anything about our choices because they're the standard for us - we become desensitized.  I'm not even talking about an addict who, time and again, choose to take that drink or gamble those last dollars away.  It's in our regular everyday lives.  It's the outfits we choose to wear that may be less than modest.  It's in the conversations men or women might have  with a married man or woman {who they, themselves, are not married to}.  It's in the relationships we develop with people we know who are in positions of authority.  It's in the actions we have towards our children.  It's all around us.  These choices we make to act or speak or behave a certain way - if that's the norm for us, then what might seem grossly inappropriate for someone else might seem ok to that person.  And it's not.  I think as a society, we're becoming desensitized to so much.  And it's stuff that  is sinful.  It's like being sinful is ok.  It's accepted.  It's expected even!

But if we are to live truly Christian lives, is this how we are to behave?  We need to be checked!  Whether it's having other like-minded people surrounding us who hold us accountable for our actions, or maybe it's even someone staging an intervention for us to get us out of that pit we fell into.  We need to constantly fight to stay on the right path and pray to God for strength during times of weakness.  We need to pray that little "petty" sins {like gossip!} don't become the norm for us.

The question is this: Are we convicted or condemned for our sins??

The light at the end of the tunnel in all of this is that we serve a loving and merciful God.  If we are true believers of Christ, then we know the answer.  A loving and merciful God doesn't condemn us for our sins, no matter how terrible.  He is a God of second chances.  He takes us as we are and He loves us.  He has given us the ability to think for ourselves, but He always takes us back when we've been led astray and gotten lost.

Romans 8:1-2 (NLT)
1 So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. 2 And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death.

It is a wonderful thing to have this knowledge on our sides.  However, we must remember that while God doesn't condemn us, we are convicted of our sins.  If we have those "checks" in place that guide us in our decisions, we will know when we've made mistakes and when we need to bring those sins to God asking for forgiveness.  Our salvation wasn't free.  It came at a great cost.  Christ was condemned for our sins so that we might be forgiven.  Perhaps that is one of the thoughts that should occupy one of our first thoughts whenever a choice must be made to choose one path or another.


linking up with Casey for:

Photobucket






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.