Sunday, September 25, 2011

Suffering Servant

Back on September 15th, I began attending "Sisterhood Mornings" at church.  It's a time of fellowship, worship, and Bible study with other Christian women.  Last week I introduced you to the "Five P's" that Priscilla Shirer talks about in her book, SEED.  It's a way of delving into scripture in a meaningful and purposeful way so that we can give ourselves a greater opportunity to hear the voice of God through the scriptures we are reading.

Each week, there's a video at the meeting and then during the week there are 10 scriptures to read throughout the week using the "Five P's" method.  I have to tell you - I don't normally hear voices in my head.  I can probably count on one hand the number of times I truly heard the voice of God and knew it was Him, if I'm being honest.  Well, God showed up and spoke to me through these verses.  I felt all at once humbled, convicted, and even a bit admonished.  A lot of what I took from the scriptures was very meaningful to me on a deeply personal level, but I did want to share one particular scripture.

John 17:4

Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
4 I have glorified You on the earth
    by completing the work You gave Me to do.


That one verse spoke volumes to me.  All the glory goes to God for completing what He has called me to do. Wait.  All the glory goes to God for completing what He has called me to do.  Hmmm.  All the glory goes to GOD for completing what He has called ME to do.  Paraphrase and put some emphasis on different words.  Try it for yourselves.  Think about that statement when you emphasize the words.  It's pretty powerful. 

Then pull the spiritual principles out of the verse.  After poring over this verse, I felt like it was telling me exactly what it says - in all I do, I must do it in a way that glorifies God.  I must give the glory to Him now.  You see, when God calls me to do something, I must complete the task and honor and glorify Him in the process.  

This is huge when you realize that God has actually called you to do something.  No.  Not just called you.  God has entrusted you with something specific!  Whether the task is big or small or somewhere in between; whether it comes naturally to you or seems outright impossible - God has entrusted you with something in your life that you must complete for His glory!  I don't know what that means for you, but I know one of the "tasks" He has entrusted me with is the care and nurturing of a now-5 year old daughter who has multiple special needs and who is medically fragile.

When I move to the next step and pose the questions to myself (in the "Five P's" manner), I find myself wondering - Do I always recognize the things in my life which are things God has called me to do?  Do I continue to recognize it is His will or calling when the process becomes difficult or even unbearable?  Do I honor God or glorify Him enough (or at all) in the servant work He has called me to do?

So how do I move forward now?  What is my plan?

Well, I know that Peyton is the biggest work for God in my life that I know of right now.  When I care for her, I must abandon the thoughts of how difficult or even impossible it seems at times.  I must present my needs to God.  I must carry out the work God has entrusted ME with and recognize the areas where He has offered help in the process.  I must continually thank God for this task and honor and glorify Him in all that I do.  I must be a light.  

So what did God say to me while pondering and studying this one short verse??

I clearly heard God say "You will be a suffering servant for my glory."


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.