Sunday, September 18, 2011

Soccer Mom

My 7 year old daughter, Moira, began playing soccer for the first time last spring at the U8 level.  She had lots of fun, but was a bit timid as she was just learning how to play.  By the last game of the season, the whole team just clicked and came together for a great final game.  Over half of the "Sweet Kickers" are back this fall in a new team with the same coach for the fall U8 league!  This team of 8 girls (5 spring league Sweet Kickers) started practicing a few weeks ago and had their first game yesterday!

Moira during warm ups

The Sweet Kickers came out to play the Green Wave at Freedom Park on Daniel Island, which is located behind Daniel Island School, which is where Moira goes to school.

Moira (#3) getting in the game

The team really came together as a TEAM for their first game.  They really worked well together.  They kept the ball inside the field much better than last season.  They all played their little hearts out!

Moira placing the ball down for kick off

The low 60's chill in the air did not dampen the spirits of these girls.  They got off to a great start, scoring several goals before half-time (and several more after).  At the U8 level, wins and losses aren't tracked, but you know the parents are keeping mental score, right?!

The teams switched sides after half-time, so they had to remember which direction to run!

At the end of the game, the coach gathered the Sweet Kickers around after their 10 to 3 or 4ish win over the Green Wave.  He was so incredibly proud of his girls.  The parents were too.  They did an amazing job out there.  The team this season is so far above and beyond what they were last year.  We have such an outstanding coach.  He really does a great job with the girls.  He teaches them with patience and kindness.  He doesn't berate them when they aren't doing what they're supposed to.  He doesn't yell comments across the field like some coaches who seem to think it's ok to throw out minor "insults" to his team (or the other if he's not happy).  He is wonderful with our girls.

During this huddle, as I was walking up, he was telling them how great they did and he said that there was one player who really stood out as someone who was by far the most improved player and who really did an amazing job in this game.....

Post-game huddle

That girl was my Moira!!!

Couldn't be prouder of my Moira!

I have never been so proud of my daughter.  She is such an amazing kid.  She did such a great job.  Even before I heard what the coach was saying, I knew all of that for myself.  I had a lump in my throat, tears in my eyes, and overwhelming joy in my heart for this child of mine.  Her daddy felt the same.

Moira is such an amazing little girl and I love her to bits!!  I am so proud to be her mom!

I am one proud soccer mom today!!

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 (NLT)
9
Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.  
10 
If one person falls, the other can reach out and help.  But someone who falls alone is in real trouble.





Miscellany Monday @
lowercase letters

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.