Friday, September 16, 2011

Sisterhood Mornings

It's something that has been going on since I've been at Seacoast Church.  It's something I've been so desiring to attend...but haven't been able to.  Why?  Because of commitments with Peyton, for the most part.  What have I been missing out on??

Seacoast Sisterhood Mornings!

What is this??  Well, it's a time when women can come together to worship, pray, and devote time to Christ in a special way, each Thursday morning {there's also a Wednesday evening version for those who can't make it Thursday morning}.  There is a theme that is used as discussion material.  Women are divided amongst several tables, each with leaders ready to prepare our hearts and guide us through this Bible study.  I have been wanting to go to this for so long.  I keep feeling like I've been really missing out by not being able to attend.  When I heard it would be starting up on September 15th, you can bet that I was going to make sure we had proper nursing coverage so that I could attend Sisterhood Mornings!  Then our nursing hours for Peyton were drastically reduced.  I feared I might have to sacrifice my ability to attend yet again.  No.  I wasn't going to do that.  Instead, I am sacrificing a whole day of nursing during my week so that I can save hours for Thursdays.  You see, Thursday evenings, Moira has soccer, so I have to have coverage in the morning and in the evenings.  Our gracious nurse agreed to work a split shift on Thursdays so I wouldn't have to use quite as many hours to cover from start to finish of both of these events.

Yesterday morning I attended my VERY FIRST Seacoast Sisterhood morning!!

I had no idea what to expect, really.  I certainly didn't expect to see the hundred or so ladies gathered in the common area around the cafe when I walked into our church.  I didn't expect to see a lovely Continental breakfast and coffee set up and being served by some other "Sisters" {including Hilary ~ one of my sponsors from over at Paint, Bake and Create!}

My anxiety level was already up a bit.  You see, I must confess, if you don't know already, I can be painfully painfully shy.  All my life it's been this way.  It's a little better now that I'm in my late 30's.  ok.  38.  I said it.  But still, I have always disliked going to functions by myself.  I don't even really like shopping by myself.  I try to avoid things where I don't know anyone.  Of course, I figured I'd see people I recognized and maybe a few that I knew.  I just figured they'd be busy.  I figured I'd get there and could head into the chapel and take a seat and wait for it all to begin.  Not so!!  Oh my.  How do I make myself appear busy and not desperate?  How do I wait it out and not appear alone?  Anxiety.  Gotta love it.  I talked to a few people.  I wandered {alone} in the book store.  I went back out.  Spotted a couple people from worship choir.  I went in that general direction.  I feel like such a loser sometimes!!  It's so ridiculous, isn't it?!

Anyway, I signed up for a table, which will be the same table I sit at each week for this semester.  I am about the youngest at my table of 6 ladies.  We had some worship time, prayer and then went into what the semester will be about.  For this semester, we will be doing a Bible study by Priscilla Shirer, using her two book series called SEED.  We'll watch a video and then our tables will discuss a chapter of the book.  We'll spend the week in between Sisterhood Mornings doing the individual homework in the books.  As the back of the book says ~ "Plant a little seed.  Grow a big faith."  I am really excited about this study and about getting to know some fellow Sisters in Christ.

Priscilla Shirer
Source: google.com via Sarah on Pinterest




There's more I could share, I'm so excited for this!  For now, though, I will leave you with a verse we pored over today.   Looking forward to sharing this faith journey with you!

Psalm 139:1-2 (NIV)


 1 You have searched me, LORD, 
and you know me. 

2 You know when I sit and when I rise; 
   you perceive my thoughts from afar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.