Monday, September 19, 2011

Sisterhood - The Five P's

SEED Pack 1 - Study Material for Sisterhood

One of the big areas in my spiritual life I need to work on is being able to discern the voice of God amidst all the noise of everyday life.  It's something I think I've struggled with for a long time.  I've been doing a year-long Bible study and it's tough to find insight each and every day but it's also tough to figure out what God is trying to say directly to me through the verses I'm reading.  After attending my first Sisterhood morning last Thursday, I have a feeling like this could all be about to change!

I want to share with you what I learned on Thursday.  This is pretty well straight from the study guide pictured above.  It's not me sharing my amazing incredible knowledge on discerning God's voice {please note the sarcasm with which I said that}.  I want to share this with you because I hope it will encourage you as it does me to know that there is a way that I can try to grow closer to God through the verses I read each day.  All the points below are summarizing and paraphrasing from Priscilla Shirer's "Seed Pack 1", pages 7-9.

Priscilla Shirer talks about the Five P's:

1.  Position Yourself to Hear from God.  By this, she simply means that we need to place ourselves in a situation where we have as few distractions as possible.  Get away from the noise and chaos of everyday life for even a short while.  Position yourself to allow yourself to hear God's voice speaking to you.

2.  Pore Over the Passage and Paraphrase the Major Points.  I think that's pretty self-explanatory.  Just journal what you think the verse is saying in everyday language.  Paraphrase the verse(s).

3.  Pull Out the Spiritual Principles.  Ok, so this one might be a little tougher.  Re-read the verse(s).  Based on what you wrote down in (2) above, try to figure out what God is saying.  What is he trying to teach?  Is he commanding you to do something?  Is it revealing something about Him to you?  Is there a promise?  Journal your thoughts on this as well.

4.  Pose the Question.  Turn those principles from (3) above into self-directed questions.  "Am I living in a way that coincides with the message of this verse?  Is anything in my life contradicting this passage?  What do I need to do to bring my life in line with this verse?"  Be still.  Quiet yourself and just listen for God's still soft voice as you reflect on these questions as they relate to the verse(s).

5.  Plan Obedience and Pin Down a Date.  Pretty simply put, this means that you need to plan how to implement what you heard God speak to you through the verse(s) into your life.  Maybe you heard God speak clearly.  Perhaps not.  Either way, it's ok.

We took time with these two verses from Psalms last Thursday:


Psalm 139:1-2 (NLT)
1 O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me.
2 You know when I sit down or stand up.  You know my thoughts even when I’m far away.


I would challenge you to take some time to go through steps 1 through 5 with these two verses.  Meditate on the verses.  Quiet yourself before God.  Allow Him into your heart.  Perhaps you will hear that still small voice of God giving you some insight or an answer for what's on your heart.

I hope this helps you in your Bible study life.  I really think it's going to help me.  I'm really excited about having learned this!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.