Monday, August 22, 2011

Why Do I Blog?

August Blog "To Do" List

I have seen several posts on the topic lately.  I thought I may as well join in.  It's a good topic and I had a hole to fill on 8/22/11, so here goes.

why do i blog??

I began this blog in 2010.  I wrote 16 posts last year.  Right now I'm already over 110 for this year.  What happened?  Why do I write so much now?  I initially began this blog as an outlet for me alone.  We have a medically fragile/special needs daughter.  Her story is long and sad at times.  Yes, there are great blessings in her story, but there's been heartache and frustration and stress and just about every negative emotion you might imagine.  Her CaringBridge page has been my outlet for the past few years or so where I can share with friends and family all of her triumphs as well as her sad, sad stories of illnesses and issues we've had to endure and overcome.  Her life has been a roller coaster of emotions and I really needed to step back and focus on the good that was happening in my life.  I was being eaten up by the negative emotions, which, as you know, cannot possibly be good for you!  So I began to blog some positive things.  It felt good.  I wrote a few posts here and there, but nothing much.  But it helped.

So a few months or so ago, I happened upon the Naptime Diaries blog.  I found it through Jessi's mom's blog.  I'd met her mom through church.  Anyway, I began reading Jessi's blog and I was amazed by this amazing woman of faith.  I was so impressed by the faith that she displayed through her blog.  I became a follower when she had fewer than 100 followers and have watched that number grow and grow!  I've now met Jessi in person and she's just as beautiful a person in real life as she is on her blog.  She's continues to inspire me in the blog world and in real life.  It was during this time after following Naptime Diaries that I began to see that there were a lot of women out there who also were sharing incredible testimonies and stories of everyday life through their blogs.  I have a huge list of blogs I now try to keep up with regularly.

Over the past few months or so, my blog has kind of evolved a bit.  My main goal initially was to share the blessings in my life.  I want to constantly remind myself that amidst the trials of life, there is still plenty of good happening in my life.  I don't ever want to lose sight of that.  I still want to share these blessings.

What I realized through writing is that there is an opportunity to share my testimony with countless readers.  Whether I have one follower or 1,000 follower, it doesn't matter (I have 15 google followers as I am writing this!!).  The numbers are nice but they aren't what matters.  I check out the sitemeter site all the time because I'm constantly amazed at where my readers are coming from.  It's exciting to see that people are interested in what I'm saying.  But, again, that's just data.  It's not what matters.  What matters to me is the motivation behind my writing.

I want to share stories.  I want to share the blessings in my life, as I've mentioned.  But I want to share stories that have deeply touched me and that have made a tremendous spiritual impact on my life.  I want to share examples of how tragedies can be turned into triumph; how heartaches can be turned into joy.  I want to be real.  Our life is not "normal" and there's a lot of "normal" stuff we miss out on because of our unique situation.    It isn't my goal to brag about how difficult my life is so that people will feel sorry for me.  My motivation isn't to brag about how strong I am.  Trust me, I am probably the last person who thinks I am strong.

If you've been following me for a while or if you know me in person, maybe you've seen changes in my faith.  Again, it's not my goal to brag about that.  But the journey we've been on has had an incredible impact on my relationship with the Lord - especially in the last several months.  I want to share my journey with people.  Maybe there's someone out there who has had a similar experience.  Maybe they have advice for me when I'm in a difficult situation.  Maybe some of my words speak to them during their own difficult time.

I don't ever want my words to be about "me" - as in, look what I can do!  I pray all the time about this blog.  I pray for the blog and I pray for the people that it might reach.  I pray hard that the words I write will be a blessing to someone.  If what I have to say speaks directly to someone in a meaningful and impactful way, then it is all worth it.  Even if that person is me.  There have been times where I've had to pull up a post from the archives so I can re-read what I wrote during a particularly difficult time so that I can hear my words myself and remind myself what the Lord wants for me.

A favorite scripture verse: Jeremiah 29:11

I am a Christian.  I want to share my faith journey with people.  In this day and age, that may seem rather bold to some people.  Weird even.  A big part of who we are in our walk with Christ comes from the words we speak and write.  I want to write words that speak truth to people.  From time to time, I like to share some of the insights I have learned at the church services I attend.  I am always amazed at how the messages seem to speak directly to me no matter where I am on my journey.  I don't want to be controversial or offensive in any way.  I just want to openly share.  Maybe something I might write one day will resonate with someone who is having a difficult time on their journey and it might put something in perspective for them.  I don't know.  Maybe everything I write only affects me - and that's ok too.

Notes from our church services

So, whoever you are - whether I know you in real life or just in the blogosphere - welcome to my little corner of the internet.  I am glad you chose to visit.  You are always welcome here.  I hope you enjoyed your stay!


Philemon 1:6 (NLT)

6 And I am praying that you will put into action the generosity that comes from your faith as you understand and experience all the good things we have in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.