Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Weigh-In Wednesday - 3 Weeks Into Diet


weigh-in wednesday
diagnosis: high cholesterol
clinical goal: intake of less than 200mg cholesterol per day to reduce bad cholesterol by 10/20/11
personal goal: drop 20 lbs by 10/20/11
Back on July 20, 2011, I posted a personal plea to all my blog-world friends for healthy recipes, tips, websites, etc. after I had been diagnosed with fairly high cholesterol.  I'm still willing to take suggestions, so please link up in the comments here!!  As I said last week, this really amounts to a 90% change rather than a 1% change for me.  This diet a big life-change for me.  No, not big.  It is HUGE.

I am still using an online tool called MyPlate to help me track every last morsel that goes into my mouth each day.  You can set calorie goals and weight loss goals and the site will keep a running tally of how many calories, carbs, fat, protein, cholesterol, sodium and sugar you consume in a day.  I am paying very close attention to the amount of cholesterol I'm taking in during a single day.  Doctor's orders: keep it below 200 mg per day.  If you aren't paying attention, it's incredible how much one could take in in a single day!  I'm also paying close attention to calorie intake.  I've never been happy with my weight and am incredibly self-conscious about my appearance.  I really, truthfully do need to lose weight.  Not just 20 lbs, but that's my personal 3 month goal...for now.

results (as of 8/10/11):
actual weight lost/gained this week: LOST 2.8 lbs (not as fantastic the combined first two weeks, but still pretty good!)
* * *
actual weight lost/gained since 7/20/11: a total of 10.55 lbs LOST!!
* * *
accountability on cholesterol intake: I am still very  successfully keeping my intake under 200mg per day; most days, it's even under 100mg per day!
* * * * *

check out my livestrong widget over there =====>
(scroll down)

This change is long overdue.  It's always better to take care of yourself on your own terms rather than having a doctor imposing medications or, God forbid, something worse on you because you refused to take care of yourself!  Granted, there are some issues which just need that extra medical assistance, and that's ok.  The point is, I'd rather lose weight and carefully monitor my cholesterol myself than to have a heart attack or stroke because I didn't!  I have a little over two months until I have to have my bloodwork re-done to see how things have improved.  They will improve!  I'm hoping and praying for that bad cholesterol number to be significantly lower.  And if it's lower but still considered high, maybe I can show the doctor how much weight I've lost and maybe can convince her to give me a little more time before having to go on meds!


I am still exercising.  And, yes, it is still all Wii Fit.  I have, however, increased the time spent each morning doing the exercises.  I'm doing 30-36 minutes each morning every day.  The doctor recommended 30 minutes 5 days a week.  When it's not a thousand degrees outside, perhaps then I will consider throwing on the running gear and getting back into the Couch to 5K plan.

I am really proud of myself for the weight loss.  Recall that my personal weight loss goal is 20 lbs by 10/20/11.  I reached the half-way point this week!!!  I am amazed by that.  Hopefully it keeps coming off like it has been!  It would be really cool to increase that goal to 25 or 30 lbs.  We'll see!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.