Friday, August 5, 2011

Friday Firsts

friday firsts
chronicles of the first time i ever tried....
a hair-do that is "up", yet is not a quick pony-tail or clipped with one of those little plastic clippy things!!
Huh??  What??  You're probably thinking, "Is she for real??"  The answer would be, um...yes.  I spent a good many of my 38 years with short hair, growing it out for my wedding in 2000, and then cutting it all off not too awfully long afterwards.  I can't really recall when I started growing it out "officially", but I know I had short hair when Peyton was born in 2006.  I never had much practice braiding hair or doing anything "fancy" at all.

So what happened??

I woke up this morning {it's Wednesday when I'm writing this}, and checked in to my blog world while the kids were still sleeping.  I read all kinds of really great posts this morning from lots of amazing ladies.  One fun post caught my attention.  Abbie over at Five Days ... 5 Ways wrote a great post which included a fab outfit comprised of great Goodwill/thrift finds as well as a hair-do tutorial which I just had to try.  It looked fun and easy, so why not.  I highly recommend you click on the tutorial link so you can see what it's really supposed to look like.

I think, sometimes, we tend to get stuck in ruts in life because we get accustomed to things being the way they are.  Or maybe we fear change just a little.  Perhaps we're just not as adventurous as the next gal.  Maybe you like trying certain things, but not others.  Well, I thought it would be fun to have the occasional blog post about trying new things.  I need to do that more...in many areas of life.  Change is good.  Sometimes necessary.  Always interesting.

Without further ado...here is my FIRST EVER done-by-myself non-pony-tail / non-clippy hair-do!!

All done...just checking things out...letting my cramped arms relax a little...

Right side.  Not too shabby in my opinion...for a first try!

Better view of the right side...

hmmm...I see room for improvement...

Left side.  Not bad...

But how does the BACK look?!?!?!

Back view...

Happy Sarah

Ok, so it's not perfect.  In fact, it may not even be pretty.  But I tried it.  I went out on a limb, and I tried something new.  Several hours later, it's still holding up!  I'm definitely going to have to keep on practicing this one, but it was fun!  Seriously, check out Abbie's tutorial and give it a whirl!  Be sure to stop by Five Days ... 5 Ways and also check out her new blog Secondhand or Bare Bottom which is devoted to her "adventures in extreme thrifting."

what new thing have you tried lately??
wondering what my next new thing will be....

Isaiah 43:19 (NIV)


19 See, I am doing a new thing!  Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.