Thursday, July 7, 2011

Worry Not

I have a medical issue for which I am seeing a general surgeon today.  I have a cyst on my elbow.  It's probably been there for close to 3 years.  It hasn't grown or changed.  It moves.  It is far from unsightly.  It is barely visible.  If you were to pass me on the street, you would surely not gasp in horror at it.  However, it is ever-present.  It is perhaps on of the most annoying parts of my life right now!  It's right at that spot where you rest your elbow on the table or on the arm rest in the car when you're driving, or on the center console when you're the passenger.  It does, from time to time, hurt - a lot.  The time has come.  This little unwelcome friend of mine is going to be leaving me - forever - hopefully very soon.

My "gigantic" cyst on my elbow!  Look close...it's there!
As I'm preparing to get ready for this consult, I started to think about how small this cyst is, but how big a problem it's become for me.  I'll live.  It's not life-threatening.  It's nothing.  It's silly, really.  It just needs to go.  Yet the longer it's around, the more troublesome it's becoming to me.

I began to think about all the worries people carry around with them.  Don't get me wrong, I am in no way downplaying anyone's worries, big or small.  If you really stop to think about what's bothering you, is it at all possible to categorize those worries?  Is it feasible to compartmentalize them just a little - things that you really have grave concern over, worries that just don't seem to have a solution, things that are troublesome but may have a solution, and issues that are really kind of "small" in the grand scheme of things, and so on.  I was just pondering how many times we take these little concerns and blow them up into something that winds up being more out of our control than it needs to be - something we come to believe has no solution.  I thought how often do we worry about things that we just shouldn't worry about - including things that aren't even ours to deal with!

I know what this is like.  I think if we're honest, most of us know that we do this on some level.  I have some consolation for you.  You don't need to worry at all.  Ok, so that doesn't mean you're not going to anyway.  It's in our nature.  But we don't have to.  Our burdens can be lifted by a mighty God who gives us strength!  It's written in scripture:

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."  1 Peter 5:7

"6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  Philipians 4:6-7

So give it a try.  Take even just one little worry you have and give it up to God.  He is powerful and mighty.  He loves you unconditionally.  Pray about what concerns you.  He is in the business of answering prayers.  He does answer them, but know that His answers may not be ours, but whichever path He leads you down, He will be there for you!  Trust in Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.