Saturday, July 2, 2011

What is Your "Hidden Art"? (with linky!!)

Yesterday I wrote about God as Artist after beginning to read The Hidden Art of Homemaking" by Edith Schaeffer.  It's a 1971 book with modern-day applications to make everyday life more fulfilling.  Once I began reading, I had a hard time putting the book down.

This morning, I am over half-way through.  I'm marking the book up with pencil as I read and find areas where I find that I should pause to reflect on how I can apply what Schaeffer is writing to my own life.  She devotes her chapters to various forms of hidden art: music, painting/sketching/sculpturing, interior decoration, and so on.  While I was enjoying the read, I kept thinking, "Yeah, that's just not me."...

Horticulture: clearly not my thing!
...until I got to chapter 8: food.  I love to cook.  I do.  I am no master chef.  I am not trained.  Gordon Ramsay would probably toss me out of his kitchen in a heartbeat.  But I love to cook.

The theme throughout The Hidden Art of Homemaking seems to be that if we can just tap in to those "hidden arts" that we have and put them to use, we can create surroundings for ourselves which become an expression of ourselves and, in turn, express the creativity God has placed within us in order to give back to our God who has created everything.  Whether we are doing this for ourselves, a family, or for others in need, we should use our gifts.  In doing so, we open communication, break down barriers, set an example, show compassion, and so on.

So, back to food...the chapter on this subject really made me think about how I am under-utilizing my talent in this area.  It made me wonder how my family life could be improved if I really dug in and used that gift.  It made me wonder how much more fulfilled I would feel if I was more creative in this area, or just did more in this area at all!


And so I made pie.  Yes, the famous apple pie from the other week!

God has supplied us with ingredients...

Which we can combine to mix together...
To shape and mold with our hands... 

We can take pleasure in the anticipation of the final product...

And despite any minor imperfections,
which we probably will be the only ones to see...

God has given us the senses to enjoy the fruits of our labor.
Isn't that what God does?  He took us from the dust of the earth and created us.  He molded us and shaped us, equipping us with everything He felt was necessary for us in life.  He marvels at his creation, despite the flaws and imperfections we have.  

So what can we do to make the time He has given us more fulfilling and more pleasing to our Creator?  How can we use our gifts in a way that pleases Him?

I'm going to try this "linky" thing.  I haven't done it before, so bear with me!  I really hope that you might consider sharing your "hidden arts" with others.  Perhaps something you do might inspire someone else, or be the spark that motivates someone into using their skills to find more personal fulfillment and a deeper connection with God.

"But now, O Lord, You are our Father, 
We are the clay; and You our potter;
And all of us are the work of Your hand."  Isaiah 64:8 (NASB)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.