Friday, July 22, 2011

One Thing

"Becoming a Woman of Simplicity" is a book which has taken me on a spiritual journey.  I have been focusing on how to simplify my life so that I might learn to abide in Christ.  While learning to abide, I've looked at the importance of where my treasure should be stored.  And, lastly, the book has had me examining how to remain unshakable during the times of trouble in my life.  The learning is not going to end once this book is finished, I can guarantee that!  I'm now half-way through.  I'm not hurrying at all.  I want to take my time and absorb what I am learning.  When I'm done, I want to go back to the beginning again!


The fifth chapter was probably the most challenging yet.  It goes back to the concept of abiding, but I found its approach to be different.  To abide means that we open ourselves to Christ - to listen to Him, to seek Him, to know Him, and to do the righteous things that God has planned for us for our lives.  That's all a part of it.  This chapter boils it down to the one thing which is of utmost importance when you are abiding in Christ.  Get to know Christ!  Not just know the sacrifice that He made for us, but really know him.  Set your sights on knowing God.  We still must abide, be obedient, and live in the Word, but we must actively seek to know him.  I don't believe it matters where you are at in your life.  We are all capable of this no matter where we've come from.


Over and over again, scriptures teach that God is our refuge, our protector, our fortress, our rock, our shield and so on.  We must dwell in Him.  We must rest in Him.  We must reside in Him.  Do you know what that means?  We must abide in Him!  I believe in order to be fully aware of God's presence in our lives, we must be open and willing to do whatever He calls us to do.  By walking on His path, we experience His grace and mercy along the way.  He gives us the strength and endurance for the trials of life.  He gives us joy and abundant blessings as well.  Remain in Him and the enemy can't possibly sneak in and tear us away from what we know to be right!


It's a way of life.  It's not just for Sundays.  I know for myself, I am submitting myself to Him, declaring myself open and willing to learn His truths to the fullest extent I can so that I may do what He is calling me to do.  It's going to be a process of learning and growing, but I am willing to do this because the eternal prize is so worth it!



Philippians 3:13-14

New Living Translation (NLT)


13 No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.






reflections on chapter 5 of "becoming a woman of simplicity".  more insights to come as i journey through this book...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.