Friday, July 8, 2011

nip - tuck and my 1% changes

Ok, so I am admitting that while Ron and Moira were in Texas for a week, I developed an addiction to the tv show "nip/tuck".  I was told by Ron that I should relax as much as I could.  I did work around the house - I honestly did.  I did some other constructive things, but I did take full advantage of having the streaming Netflix on the tv all to myself.  For whatever reason, I felt it was worth watching...and I watched...a lot.  In the past few days since Ron and Moira have returned, I have watched...very little.  And that's ok.

I was thinking about the show.  If you aren't aware, it's about a plastic surgery practice set in Miami.  It almost always opens (in the episodes I've seen so far) with either Dr. Troy or Dr. McNamara facing the potential patient and making the statement, "Tell me what you don't like about yourself.".  The show then proceeds with the story about the patient and their surgery as well as all the sordid details of the very reckless, Godless, immoral lives of those doctors and most of the people they deal with.

So I decided this - if I have spent all this time watching this mindless "entertainment", I need to do something worthwhile to counter that activity.  Hopefully I'll have achieved some of that in writing this post.

If I take a look at my physical life, yeah, sure there are things that I would like to be different.  But I'm not about to invest in expensive plastic surgery to make those changes!  Money aside, I personally just don't know if I could justify such an expense for what (to me) would be vanity reasons.  That is not to say people shouldn't have it if that is what they want to achieve happiness.  There is also truly a place for it when people are truly suffering as a result of a condition or need reconstruction after illness or trauma.

But there are things that I do think I should change...and no plastic surgeon can fix those things.  So I thought to myself - what things don't I like about myself...what things are in my own control to make a change.  In reading a friend's blog (Naptime Diaries), I learned about what she calls 1% Changes.  That is, we find an area in life where we can make a very small (1%) change and work towards an overall life improvement.  Changing things a little at a time, over a period of time, will amount to big change!  It could be a change in habits to promote good health, to improve family life, and so on.

I've already been working on a couple things but I really need to put more of a concerted effort forward so that I can achieve the desired result of the changes I want to see.  I wrote a post on the book "The Hidden Art of Homemaking" by Edith Schaeffer.  I need to finish the book.  I'm so close but haven't done it!  I've tried a few times to implement some of the ideas in that book, but I'm not being consistent about it...yet.  For right now, I have a few ideas that I need to really find ways to implement change...1% at a time.  Call it a personal and spiritual nip - tuck if you want!

While this is SO good, and it is using one of my "hidden arts," I should probably curb my enthusiasm on this change.

A little less of this....

In favor of something that promotes a much more healthy lifestyle.

And a lot more of this!!

I am so grateful to have this blog as an outlet.  I love writing, which is another one of those "hidden arts" I talked about.  With so much stress having gone on in our lives with having a medically fragile child, I needed a place where I could really recount all the blessings and wonderful things that are happening so I don't lose sight of that!  If I can bless just one person in the process, then it's been worthwhile.  I am very thankful for all my new readers who are not known to me personally but who are coming from all across the country and a couple from abroad.  I am blessed and so grateful that you've taken a moment to visit!

Site Meter tracks the number of blog visitors and it lets me know
where in the world people are visiting from: US, Canada, UK, and Australia so far!!

I love keeping connected with friends, so I love Facebook.  In the process of staying connected, I've managed to find addictions there as well.  So I seriously need to curb my activity on my cyber-frontier and focus on what brought me to Facebook in the first place!!

Some days, I think I need someone to throw me a Facebook Intervention!

I really need to focus more on The Word.  Reading it.  Absorbing it.  Living it.  I've been involved in a "Twitter Bible Study" all year.  By year-end, I will have read the entire Bible all the way through.  Specific scriptures are read each day and then I post my insight on Twitter/Facebook in 140 characters or less.  It's not easy.  It's often quite challenging for me to find that insight.  I'm overwhelmed at times, thinking how can so many other people figure it out and I'm just left hanging at the end of the readings.  I'm doing it, but I really could be putting forth much more effort.  Absorbing.  I need to learn how to do that better.



Those are just a few examples of areas where I need to work on those 1% changes.  It's going to take a bit of nipping and tucking in a lot of areas of my life.  I will be praying for the discipline to really follow through with these changes so that I can be living a life that is more honorable to my family and to God.

1 Corinthians 10:31

New Living Translation (NLT)

 31 So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.