Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Abiding in God's Grace

grace
[greys]
favor or good will
to favor or honor: to grace an occasion with one's presence
(source: dictionary.com)

After just two chapters of "Becoming a Woman of Simplicity," I have to say that this is truly going to be an amazing companion on my journey of 1% Changes.  In fact, it may yet be one of the biggest aids to the process.  

Why?

I have had a hard time focusing.

Why?

Easy.  Distractions.  I need to reflect more on the first chapter about simplicity which I blogged about yesterday.  I have already begun making a couple changes to how I "do" my day in an effort to reduce the "noise" in my life.  Monday was a busy day including a doctor appointment for Peyton, but maybe today will be even better.

The second chapter in this book discusses God's "Gracious Acceptance."  Did you know that God accepts you for who you are, right where you are, right now??  Did you know that God doesn't bestow His grace on you based on the litany of good deeds you can recount to Him?  His unconditional, unfailing love for you assures you of His grace and salvation through His son.  So...relax.  Knowing this should help lighten your load!  Even in areas such as ministry, you can be stretched too far.  Be sure you are doing all that work not just to prove to God that you are able!

Again, I must learn to abide.  Abide in Christ so that I can discern what God's purpose is for me in my life.  I need to begin removing some of the distractions of the world in order to have more time with God so that I can pray and listen in order that I might hear what God is saying to me.  Abiding and prayer.  It sounds simple, so why is it so hard?!  

The author, Cynthia Heald, states beautifully, "God's gracious acceptance frees us to live profoundly and simply because we can rest in Him and know that He is at work in us to give us the desire and power to do what pleases Him."

I am looking forward to building more prayer time into my day so that I can learn from Him who knows me so well.


Ephesians 2:8-10


New Living Translation (NLT)

8 God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. 9 Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it. 10 For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.



God created you in His image.  He created you like no one else.  He created you with a purpose.  He has equipped you already to do the work in your life to fulfill that purpose.


reflections on chapter 2 of "becoming a woman of simplicity".  more insights to come as i journey through this book...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.