Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Simple Pleasures - Nothing Sweeter Than Apple Pie

I've really been craving apple pie.  Not store-bought.  Homemade apple pie.  I love baking pies and I think the last one I made was around Christmastime.  so, as it is approaching 100 degrees outside, I decided to bake a pie this morning.  I learned the basic recipe several years ago.  I've tweaked it a bit over the years and now it's all my own.  I won't go back to store bought!!  I thought I'd share with you!

Filling:
1/3 cup flour
5 apples (just use whichever suits your taste - I don't use "traditional" baking apples!)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon (another area where I get a little crafty!)
Mix together then microwave for 7 minutes on high (this picture is post-microwave, so if you don't have one, I suppose you could cook on the stove until it looks like this).
Preheat oven to 400F.

Crust:
2 cups flour
3/4 cups shortening
pinch of salt
Blend together until it sticks (as in picture), then add water by the tablespoon (6 or 7) until it's "doughy" enough to roll out (hint - put water in a bowl with some ice cubes and draw from that)

This is what the crust mixture will look like when it's ready to roll out.
Divide in half - one half for the bottom crust and one half for the top.

Half the dough - ready to roll!!

Roll out the bottom crust and place into pie dish.
Add the cooked apple mixture.

Roll out the top crust and cover the pie.  Make sure to add some slits to vent!!
Bake at 400F for 30-35 minutes.

Voila!!
I sprinkled some cinnamon and sugar on top of the pie after it was finished.

Steaming hot appley goodness!!

Pie is served!!  I enjoyed this piece along with a nice mug of hot tea.  It was so good!  The only thing wrong with it was that it left me wanting more!!!

ENJOY!

LINKING UP HERE:
Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.