Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Importance of Family

Tomorrow, half my family is going on vacation.  And I'm not in that half.  Ron and Moira are venturing off to Texas to spend some time with his family.

Why only half the family??  It would take a small U-haul to load up all of the things Peyton requires these days.  She's doing as "ok" as she can be right now, but venturing out on a big trip is probably not in her best interests right now.  That said, it has been a couple years since we were in Texas - April 2009 was our last visit.  In fact, it was immediately after that visit that Peyton wound up having a g-tube placed and, because she was having such a horrible time with vomiting, she later wound up having a Nissen Fundoplication surgery that would prevent her from doing so.  All that followed by over a year of respiratory issues leaves us in the position where we realize that Peyton is best left at home right now.  So, while my better half and oldest child are flying off to Texas, Peyton and I will be here at home just hanging out.  We'll have company - nurses and therapists will still be around.

So why go if we can't all go??  As I said, it's been since April 2009 that we were in Texas.  I can't believe it's been that long.  It's been even longer since Ron has seen his Dad, and he (last I heard) was planning on heading to Texas as well to visit while Ron and Moira are there.  They will also get a chance to visit Ron's Mom, sister and her family, and probably some other extended family.

Family has always been incredibly important to me.  There is not much greater than a strong family bond.  I am very fortunate to have that with my own family.  Yes, it would be great if the four of us could take of on a much-needed family vacation, but that's just not possible right now.  The opportunity arose for this trip to happen, so we decided that it was important.  Important for Ron to spend time with his family.  Important for Moira to get a chance to see her extended family as well.  It will be interesting to hear what her visit is like.  She was 4 when we moved from Texas and had just turned 5 when we were last there.  We're fast-approaching a point in her life when most of it will have been spent NOT in Texas!

Sometimes it's more important to make some sacrifices as a "whole" family so that some of the members can be blessed by an opportunity.  Meanwhile, I will miss them but I will pray for safe travels for them on their journey.  I pray that this time will be a time of blessing for them and the family that they will see.

"Children, be obedient to your parents in all things, for this is well-pleasing to the Lord." Colossians 3:20 (NASB)


linking up:

*Note: As I am linking up on 6/29/12, this post from 6/28/11 would certainly fit my life right now.  Yesterday, on 6/27/12, Ron and Moira left for Texas {again without me or Peyton} for a visit with his family.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.