Sunday, April 24, 2011

Reflecting on Easter


I have been reflecting much more, particularly in the past few days, about what Easter really means for me. As I was dyeing eggs with Moira this evening, I was really struck with a visual.  Like several of the eggs that boiled just a little too long, I am broken.  We all are broken.  In one way or another, we all struggle with brokenness in our lives, whether it is spiritual, physical, emotional, etc.

I am in the worship choir at church.  This weekend, I have the privilege of singing with my fellow choir members at five Easter services.  One song we are singing is called O The Blood (Gateway Worship).  This song is so incredibly powerful.  Click the link for a youtube video with this song.  It's definitely worth your time.  The chorus is:

O the blood of Jesus washes me
O the blood of Jesus shed for me
What a sacrifice that saved my life
Yes, the blood, it is my victory

Close your eyes for a moment and hear the words of the song as it plays.  Jesus came and died for us because of our brokenness.  Because we are sinners, his blood was shed for us so that we might be saved.  Think about it.  He did this for us 2,000 years ago.  He did this for all of us.  I never met the man face to face.  I spent a great deal of my life "believing" but not BELIEVING.  I went to church on Sundays because that's what you did.  You see, it doesn't matter who you are, where you are in your life, what you have done, what you will do, who you know, whether you know Jesus personally or not.  He came for all of us.  His life was sacrificed so that ours could be saved.  We can experience the fullness of God's forgiveness because he obeyed his Father's will.  He willingly gave up his life on a cross for you and for me.  We can experience God's grace and mercy every day.  If we just believe that Christ died for us on the cross on that day for us, then we can be saved.  Truly believing that one fact changes everything.  We can experience a new life in Him knowing that on fact.

This Easter, I'm thinking a lot about this sacrifice and how I am choosing to respond to it.  I'm sure my life requires a lot of adjusting.  It's a small sacrifice to make compared to the one HE made for me.


8 But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. 9 And since we have been made right in God’s sight by the blood of Christ, he will certainly save us from God’s condemnation. 10For since our friendship with God was restored by the death of his Son while we were still his enemies, we will certainly be saved through the life of his Son. 11 So now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God because our Lord Jesus Christ has made us friends of God.  
(Romans 5:8-11, NLT; for full context see Romans 5)






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I welcome your comments.